What is the formula for finding the tension of the boom in this problem?

• Thread starter physics10189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, The problem is asking to find the tension in the cable holding up a uniform boom with a length of 13m and an angle of 48 degrees above the horizontal. The cable is attached to the boom at a distance of 0.77L from the foot and its tension is perpendicular to the boom. To solve this, we can use the equation 1100N * L * cos(48) + 1820N * 0.5L * cos(48) - T * 0.77L = 0, which simplifies to T = 1746.691583N. However, this answer is incorrect. Another question asks to find the vertical components of the reaction force on the boom
physics10189

Homework Statement

A 1820N uniform boom is suppoted by a cable. The boom is pivoted at the bottom, and a 1100N object hangs from its end.
The boom has a length L=13 m and is at an angle of 48 degree above the horizontal. At support cable is attached to the boom at a distance of .77L from the foot of the boom and its tension is perpendicular to the boom.
Find the tension in the cable holding up the boom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1100N * L * cos(48)
+ 1820N* 0.5L * cos(48)
- T * 0.77L
=0

Since L is not relevant in this equation you can just cancel it out.
I got answer to be
1746.691583N
which of course is wrong.
Could you please them me what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

ok well...similar to his question

Find the vertical components of the reaction
force on the boom by the floor.

i found that the horizontal component of the reaction
force on the boom by the floor is just Tsin(theta).

so how do i find teh vertical components?

Hint: What does the net vertical force on the boom equal?

is it the
Normal of y= Fg(boom)+Fg(block)-Tcos(theata)?

Yes, that's right.

FAQ: What is the formula for finding the tension of the boom in this problem?

1. What is the purpose of finding the tension of the boom?

The tension of the boom is an important factor in determining the stability and safety of structures such as cranes, bridges, and towers. It is also crucial in calculating the load capacity and stress on different parts of the structure.

2. How is the tension of the boom measured?

The tension of the boom is typically measured using strain gauges or load cells, which are devices that can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to the boom. Other methods include using dynamometers or hydraulic pressure gauges.

3. What are some factors that can affect the tension of the boom?

The tension of the boom can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load, wind and weather conditions, and the angle and position of the boom. Other factors may include the quality and condition of the materials used, as well as human error in setting up or operating the structure.

4. How can the tension of the boom be adjusted or controlled?

The tension of the boom can be adjusted by changing the angle or position of the boom, redistributing the weight of the load, or using counterweights to balance the force. In some cases, the tension can also be controlled by adjusting the hydraulic pressure or using winches and pulleys.

5. Why is it important to regularly check and maintain the tension of the boom?

Regularly checking and maintaining the tension of the boom is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the entire structure. Changes in tension can indicate potential issues or weaknesses in the structure that need to be addressed. Neglecting to maintain proper tension can lead to structural failure and accidents.

Back