What is the Fraction of Energy Lost by an Electron in Elastic Scattering?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the fraction of energy lost by an electron after colliding with a stationary particle. The homework equations for conservation of energy and momentum are used to rearrange and solve for the final expression. It is suggested to look at derivations for Compton scattering to help with understanding the problem. The solution is found by solving for Ee' and plugging it into the given expression.
Poirot

Homework Statement

An electron collides with a particle with mass M at rest and scatters elastically through an angle θ (assume electron mass negligible).
Show that the fraction of energy lost by the e- is:

(Ee - Ee')/Ee = 1/[1+ Mc2/Ee(1-cosθ)]

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy: Ee + Mc2 = Ee' + EM
Conservation of momentum: Pe = Pe' + PM

E2 = P2c2 + M2c4

or for electron since mass negligible, E=Pc

Previous parts of the questions required the rearrangements of these to get:
PM2 = 1/c2[Ee2 +Ee'2 - 2EeEe'cosθ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this so many times but the closest I can get is:

(Ee - Ee')/Ee = Ee'(1-cosθ)/Mc2

I don't know if I'm missing some kind of relation I can use to sub in Ee' for Ee because in the final expression I'm trying to get there seems to be way more Ee's than I would expect.

I've also tried working backwards to find out what I'm missing from the answer but I just don't see it.

I think I have tunnel vision from trying this so often and can't see another way, so thank you in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your situation is equivalent to Compton scattering (just with different particles), you should find derivations for this in textbooks and websites.

Poirot said:
I've tried to solve this so many times but the closest I can get is:

(Ee - Ee')/Ee = Ee'(1-cosθ)/Mc2

I don't know if I'm missing some kind of relation I can use to sub in Ee' for Ee because in the final expression I'm trying to get there seems to be way more Ee's than I would expect.

I've also tried working backwards to find out what I'm missing from the answer but I just don't see it.

I think I have tunnel vision from trying this so often and can't see another way, so thank you in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated!
You're not missing any physics here. It's just algebra. Starting from the expression you got, solve for ##E_e'## in terms of ##E_e##, ##\theta##, and ##M##. Then plug the result into ##(E_e-E'_e)/E_e## and simplify.

I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• compton.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 233

Related to What is the Fraction of Energy Lost by an Electron in Elastic Scattering?

1. What is elastic scattering?

Elastic scattering is a phenomenon in which particles or waves are deflected by an obstacle or medium without any change in their kinetic energy. This means that the particles or waves maintain their original energy and velocity after the interaction.

2. How does elastic scattering differ from inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering differs from inelastic scattering in that inelastic scattering involves a transfer of energy between the particles or waves and the obstacle or medium, resulting in a change in their kinetic energy. Inelastic scattering can also result in the creation or destruction of particles, while elastic scattering does not.

3. What are some real-life examples of elastic scattering?

Some examples of elastic scattering in everyday life include the reflection of light off a mirror, the bouncing of a basketball off the ground, and the deflection of electrons in a cathode ray tube.

4. How is elastic scattering used in scientific research?

Elastic scattering is used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology, to study the properties and interactions of particles and waves. For example, elastic scattering is used in particle accelerators to study the structure of subatomic particles.

5. What factors affect the outcome of elastic scattering?

The outcome of elastic scattering can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the particles or waves, the properties of the obstacle or medium, and the angle of incidence. Additionally, quantum mechanical effects may also play a role in elastic scattering at the atomic and subatomic level.