What is the Fraction of Methane in a CH4 and C2H6 Mixture After Combustion?

• Thread starter Skatermoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, a compound is a substance with chemically bonded elements, while a mixture is a combination of substances that can be separated physically. To balance a chemical equation, the number of atoms of each element must be equal on both sides. An exothermic reaction releases heat, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat. To calculate the molar mass of a compound, add the atomic masses of each element present. Acids donate hydrogen ions, while bases either accept hydrogen ions or donate hydroxide ions. Acids have a pH less than 7 and bases have a pH greater than 7.
Skatermoon

Homework Statement

a mixture of methane (CH4) and ethane (C2H6) of mass 13.43 g is completely burned in oxygen. If the total mass of CO2 and H20 produced is 64.84 g, calculate the fraction of methane in the mixture.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be thinking along the lines of simultaneous equations...

Good idea.

--

Related to What is the Fraction of Methane in a CH4 and C2H6 Mixture After Combustion?

1. What is the difference between a compound and a mixture?

A compound is a substance made up of two or more elements that are chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio. A mixture is a combination of two or more substances that are not chemically bonded and can be separated by physical means.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must make sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients of the reactants and products.

3. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy to its surroundings, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from its surroundings.

4. How do I calculate the molar mass of a compound?

To calculate the molar mass of a compound, add the atomic masses of each element present in the compound. This can be found on the periodic table. Make sure to consider the subscripts in the chemical formula.

5. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions or donates hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. Acids have a pH less than 7 and bases have a pH greater than 7.