What is the Frequency for In-Phase Current and Voltage in RLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about a tricky problem involving finding the frequency at which a series R-C circuit would have the current and total circuit voltage in phase. After discussing different equations and possible solutions, it is revealed that the frequency would have to be infinity to achieve this. The group then moves on to discussing a separate question about the current being the same at very low and very high frequencies in the same circuit.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

This was a part question and I got everything else but one part (#4!):

1) A 60-Hz generator with an RMS potential of 240 V is connected in series with a 3350 Ohm resistor and a 1.5 microFarad capacitor. What is the RMS current in the circuit?
IRMS = 6.34 * 10-2 A

2) In the previous question, what is the phase angle between the current and total voltage (in degrees)?
[itex]\phi[/itex] = 27.8 deg

3) What would be the average (RMS) power consumed in the circuit in the previous question?
Pavg = 13.5 W

4) At what frequency would the circuit in the previous problems have to be operated in order to have the current and total circuit voltage be in phase?

Homework Equations

z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2) <-- not sure if I had to use this one
XC = 1/ωC
ω = 2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve this (or if I'm even using the right equations to solve for it) but I tried solving for f in the formula and I got 72.3 as the answer and it was wrong in the homework assignment. I think phase difference is pi/2 so if it's in phase, do I need to add pi/2 to my final answer...? I'm very lost with this question as you can tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

This was a part question and I got everything else but one part (#4!):

1) A 60-Hz generator with an RMS potential of 240 V is connected in series with a 3350 Ohm resistor and a 1.5 microFarad capacitor. What is the RMS current in the circuit?
IRMS = 6.34 * 10-2 A

2) In the previous question, what is the phase angle between the current and total voltage (in degrees)?
[itex]\phi[/itex] = 27.8 deg

3) What would be the average (RMS) power consumed in the circuit in the previous question?
Pavg = 13.5 W

4) At what frequency would the circuit in the previous problems have to be operated in order to have the current and total circuit voltage be in phase?

Homework Equations

z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2) <-- not sure if I had to use this one
XC = 1/ωC
ω = 2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve this (or if I'm even using the right equations to solve for it) but I tried solving for f in the formula and I got 72.3 as the answer and it was wrong in the homework assignment. I think phase difference is pi/2 so if it's in phase, do I need to add pi/2 to my final answer...? I'm very lost with this question as you can tell.

Well, for one thing, it's a trick question.

What is the expression for phase angle between total applied voltage and current for a series R-C circuit?

Or: go back to part 2 and change the frequency until you get in-phase between total applied voltage and current.

rude man said:
Well, for one thing, it's a trick question.

What is the expression for phase angle between total applied voltage and current for a series R-C circuit?

Or: go back to part 2 and change the frequency until you get in-phase between total applied voltage and current.

I think it's cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = R/Z, Z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2)... I don't know if I thinking about this correctly but does in phase mean that the angle = 0?

monnapomona said:
I think it's cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = R/Z, Z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2)... I don't know if I thinking about this correctly but does in phase mean that the angle = 0?

That formula is correct.
Yes, "in phase" means zero phase angle between V and i.

So now what does XC have to be to make the phase angle zero?

rude man said:
That formula is correct.
Yes, "in phase" means zero phase angle between V and i.

So now what does XC have to be to make the phase angle zero?

Hmm... well if cos-1(1) = 0, then my answer has to equal 1 somehow... so wouldn't XC need to be 0 because:

cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = 3500 [itex]\Omega[/itex] / sqrt((3500 [itex]\Omega[/itex])^2 + 0^2) = 1
[itex]\phi[/itex] = cos-1(1) = 0 deg

Hi physics 126 classmate here. I'm also stuck on this question. I propose to get I and V in phase, the frequency has to be infinity.

mojo11jojo said:
Hi physics 126 classmate here. I'm also stuck on this question. I propose to get I and V in phase, the frequency has to be infinity.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking cause if the XC is 0 then we would have to be dividing over 0 to get f since XC = 1/(2πf*C)... is that what you did?

yup just yolo'd and typed infinity into the answer slot. It is correct :) Also the last question, the answer is The current will be the same at very low frequencies and at very high frequencies only.

mojo11jojo said:
yup just yolo'd and typed infinity into the answer slot. It is correct :) Also the last question, the answer is The current will be the same at very low frequencies and at very high frequencies only.

Say what! Haha awesome.

Ah, I got that one! Thanks! :P

Enjoy the free 100% for anyone googling answers

monnapomona said:
Say what! Haha awesome.

Ah, I got that one! Thanks! :P

Told yu it was a trick question!

But - what's this about the current being the same at very low & very high frequencies?

It's a separate question altogether not included in the original post

FAQ: What is the Frequency for In-Phase Current and Voltage in RLC Circuit?

What is the definition of frequency in an RLC circuit?

The frequency in an RLC circuit is the rate at which the current alternates back and forth between the inductor and capacitor. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is determined by the values of the inductance, capacitance, and resistance in the circuit.

How does an RLC circuit behave at its resonant frequency?

At its resonant frequency, an RLC circuit will have the maximum amplitude of current and minimum impedance. This means that the circuit will have a high level of current flow and low resistance, allowing for efficient energy transfer within the circuit.

What is the purpose of a resonance curve in an RLC circuit?

A resonance curve is a graph that shows the relationship between current amplitude and frequency in an RLC circuit. It allows us to visually determine the resonant frequency of the circuit and understand how the current behaves at different frequencies.

How does the quality factor affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The quality factor, also known as Q factor, is a measure of the efficiency of an RLC circuit. A higher quality factor indicates a more efficient circuit, with less energy lost through resistance. This results in a sharper resonance curve and a more stable circuit.

Why is an RLC circuit considered a bandpass filter?

An RLC circuit is considered a bandpass filter because it allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through the circuit while blocking all other frequencies. This is due to the circuit's resonant frequency and its ability to amplify certain frequencies while attenuating others.