What is the Frequency of the Third Harmonic in a Heated, Stretched Yarn?

In summary, the question involves a metal bar with a linearly varying coefficient of expansion, attached to two supports with a string stretched between them. The frequency of the third harmonic created in the string when heated by ΔT is given by 4v/2L, where v=\sqrt{\dfrac{FL}{m}} and F=KLαΔT, with the correct formula being \dfrac{3}{2} \sqrt{\dfrac{K Δ T (\alpha_1 + \alpha_2)}{2m}}.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A yarn of material that cannot dilate, length L, mass m and elastic constant K is trapped and stretched with negligible tension between the two supports A and B attached to the ends of the metal bar, CD, whose coefficient of expansion varies linearly from to , increasingly with temperature in the range of interest of the question. Determine the frequency of the third harmonic that is established in the rope when heated ΔT.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\alpha _{eq} = \dfrac{\alpha 1 + \alpha 2}{2}[/itex]

Since the metal bar expands, separation between A and B increases. This creates a tension in the string. The change in length is given by LαΔT.
F = KLαΔT
Frequency of third harmonic = 4v/2L
where [itex]v=\sqrt{\dfrac{FL}{m}} [/itex]

If I substitute the value of F, the answer comes out to be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

utkarshakash said:
...linearly from to , increasingly ...

Something seems to be missing here.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\alpha _{eq} = \dfrac{\alpha 1 + \alpha 2}{2}[/itex]
[STRIKE]I am not sure but I think this is incorrect. The question says that coefficient of linear expansion varies linearly with temperature so I think you should find it as a function of temperature and then obtain the change in length through integration.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Sorry, that is correct, integration yields the same result. So the only possible error is in your formula for frequency of third harmonic.

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Something seems to be missing here.

[STRIKE]I am not sure but I think this is incorrect. The question says that coefficient of linear expansion varies linearly with temperature so I think you should find it as a function of temperature and then obtain the change in length through integration.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Sorry, that is correct, integration yields the same result. So the only possible error is in your formula for frequency of third harmonic.

Ah! That was a silly mistake. I confused "harmonics" with "overtones". Thanks for pointing out.

Here's the correct answer

[itex] \dfrac{3}{2} \sqrt{\dfrac{K Δ T (\alpha_1 + \alpha_2)}{2m}} [/itex]

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Frequency of the Third Harmonic in a Heated, Stretched Yarn?

1. What is the definition of frequency of third harmonic?

The frequency of third harmonic refers to the third harmonic of a periodic waveform, which is a multiple of the fundamental frequency of the waveform. It is three times the fundamental frequency and has a higher pitch than the fundamental frequency.

2. How is the frequency of third harmonic calculated?

The frequency of third harmonic can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by three. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the frequency of the third harmonic would be 300 Hz.

3. What is the significance of the frequency of third harmonic?

The frequency of third harmonic is important in music and sound engineering because it adds complexity and richness to the sound. It also helps in shaping the tone and character of an instrument or sound.

4. Can the frequency of third harmonic be changed?

Yes, the frequency of third harmonic can be changed by altering the fundamental frequency or by using filters and equalizers. In music production, it is common to manipulate the frequency of third harmonic to achieve a desired sound.

5. How does the frequency of third harmonic affect the sound quality?

The frequency of third harmonic can greatly impact the sound quality by adding harmonics and overtones to the original sound. This can make the sound fuller, brighter, or warmer depending on the instrument and the amount of third harmonic present. However, too much third harmonic can also result in a distorted or harsh sound.