What is the Fuel Consumption of a Motor After 7 Minutes?

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving fuel consumption and time. The question asks for the sketch of R as a function of t, the rate of consumption after 7 minutes, the limiting value of R as t becomes very large, and the total consumption in the first 7 minutes. The person asking for help has already attempted part 2 and is unsure how to proceed with the other parts.
steve 99

Homework Statement

I posted int he other section but not sure if that area was a bit high maths

I have this questions an answer to it would be great.
.Q.1 At t minutes after an engine starts, the rate of fuel consumption is Rkg per minute. it is given by R=10+ 10/2t+1.

a) Sketch R as a function of t

b) find the rate of consumption after 7 mins

c) find the limiting value of R as t becomes very large

d) calculate the total consumption in the 1st 7 mins

not sure how to do it
Thank You

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do part 2

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show an attempt, although it may be something very basic.

steve 99 said:

Homework Statement

I posted int he other section but not sure if that area was a bit high maths

I have this questions an answer to it would be great.
.Q.1 At t minutes after an engine starts, the rate of fuel consumption is Rkg per minute. it is given by R=10+ 10/2t+1.
First, is this R= 10+ (10/2t)+ 1 or R= 10+ 10/(2t+ 1)

a) Sketch R as a function of t
Okay, have you done that? Just calculate some values and draw the graph.

b) find the rate of consumption after 7 mins

c) find the limiting value of R as t becomes very large

d) calculate the total consumption in the 1st 7 mins

not sure how to do it
Thank You

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do part 2

Related to What is the Fuel Consumption of a Motor After 7 Minutes?

1. What is the average fuel consumption of a motor?

The average fuel consumption of a motor depends on various factors such as the type of fuel, engine size, driving habits, and vehicle weight. On average, a car with a gasoline engine can consume around 25-30 miles per gallon (mpg), while a diesel engine can consume around 30-35 mpg. However, these numbers can vary significantly depending on the above-mentioned factors.

2. How does the weight of a vehicle affect its fuel consumption?

The weight of a vehicle plays a significant role in its fuel consumption. A heavier vehicle requires more energy to accelerate and maintain speed, resulting in higher fuel consumption. On the other hand, a lighter vehicle can be more fuel-efficient as it requires less energy to move. Therefore, choosing a lighter vehicle can help reduce fuel consumption.

3. Does driving at higher speeds increase fuel consumption?

Yes, driving at higher speeds can significantly increase fuel consumption. When a vehicle is driven at higher speeds, it requires more energy to overcome air resistance, resulting in increased fuel consumption. It is recommended to maintain a steady speed and avoid aggressive driving to improve fuel efficiency.

4. How can I improve the fuel consumption of my motor?

There are several ways to improve the fuel consumption of a motor, such as maintaining proper tire pressure, regular engine maintenance, avoiding unnecessary idling, and using the recommended fuel grade for your vehicle. Additionally, practicing efficient driving habits, such as avoiding sudden accelerations and maintaining a steady speed, can also help improve fuel efficiency.

5. Does the type of fuel affect the fuel consumption of a motor?

Yes, the type of fuel can affect the fuel consumption of a motor. Vehicles designed to run on diesel fuel are generally more fuel-efficient compared to those running on gasoline. In addition, using higher-octane fuel than what is recommended for your vehicle can also result in lower fuel efficiency. It is essential to use the recommended fuel grade to maximize fuel efficiency.