What is the Fundamental Period of a Function with a Given Derivative?

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the fundamental period of a periodic function is the period of the function multiplied by 2.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If the derivative of f(x) w.r.t x is (0.5- sin^2x)/f(x) then fundamental period of f(x) is
2. The attempt at a solution
I wrote 1/2-sin^2x as cos2x/2. since f'(x)=cos2x/2f(x) its integral will be f(x), I would be grateful is someone could provide intuition on how to proceed further

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "fundamental period"? Can you please provide the problem statement exactly as written down (or at least translated as good as you can), since it does not give information about ##f##.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

If the derivative of f(x) w.r.t x is (0.5- sin^2x)/f(x) then fundamental period of f(x) is
2. The attempt at a solution
I wrote 1/2-sin^2x as cos2x/2. since f'(x)=cos2x/2f(x) its integral will be f(x), I would be grateful is someone could provide intuition on how to proceed further

So: ##2 f(x) f'(x) = \cos(2x),## and you should recognize that ##2 f(x) f'(x)## is the derivative of some function ##F(x)## that is related to ##f(x)## in some way. That allows you to find ##F(x)## and then, from that, to find ##f(x)##, up to a constant of integration (which will not affect the period, if any).

Last edited:
Math_QED said:
What is "fundamental period"? Can you please provide the problem statement exactly as written down (or at least translated as good as you can), since it does not give information about ##f##.

I suspect that the problem should have said "A periodic function ##f(x)## satisfies the equation ##f'(x) = (0.5 - \sin^2 x)/f(x).## What is the period of ##f##?"

Math_QED said:
Ray Vickson said:
I suspect that the problem should have said "A periodic function ##f(x)## satisfies the equation ##f'(x) = (0.5 - \sin^2 x)/f(x).## What is the period of ##f##?"
You're interpreting the question correctly, this is a MCQ type question and I have written the statement unaltered- all the data is mentioned. Fundamental period here means the period of the function (e.g 2pi for sinx) etc.Additionally 4 options are provided (but I should be able to get the answer regardless of whether there are options or not) the options are- 1)pi 2)2pi 3)pi/2 4)3pi/2

Ray Vickson said:
So: ##2 f(x) f'(x) = \cos(2x),## and you should recognize that ##2 f(x) f'(x)## is the derivative of some function ##F(x)## that is related to ##f(x)## in some way. That allows you to find ##F(x)## and then, from that, to find ##f(x)##, up to a constant of integration (which will not affect the period, if any).
F(x) will be sin(2x)/2, I am trying to equate ∫2f(x)f'(x) with this now to find f(x)...

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
F(x) will be sin(2x)/2, I am trying to equate ∫2f(x)f'(x) with this now to find f(x)...
Got it! I integrated by parts and found f(x)^2=sin2x/2, so the answer is pi. Thanks a lot! :)

FAQ: What is the Fundamental Period of a Function with a Given Derivative?

What is basic integration?

Basic integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at two points.

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration gives a general solution to an integration problem, while definite integration gives a specific numerical value for the integral over a given interval.

What are the steps involved in solving a basic integration problem?

The steps involved in solving a basic integration problem are: 1) Identify the function to be integrated, 2) Find the antiderivative of the function, 3) Evaluate the antiderivative at the given bounds, and 4) Subtract the lower bound from the upper bound to find the definite integral.

What are some common techniques used in basic integration?

Some common techniques used in basic integration include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques allow for the integration of more complex functions.

How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled by an object.

Back