What is the FWHM and fitting curve for the distribution in this figure?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) of a given function and using MATLAB for data analysis. The peak value and background are taken into consideration and a least-squares regression is suggested for a more accurate fit. The conversation also mentions using a text file for data and plotting log(y) vs. x for linear regression. The desired outcome is to find the FWHM and a fitting curve for the given distribution.
valesdn
Hi. I need your help. What is the Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) of this function ( look at the picture) ? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/immaginezxa.png
The operating voltage of a PMT is in the order of 1710V. I've to find the PMT gain. The peak value
is near channel 630. The pedestal peak is near channel 66. Could you help me, please? Thanks anyway.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

It looks like the peak value near channel 630 is 50-60, so the half-max value is 25-30. This puts the half-max point at roughly channel 800 on the high side.

On the low side, we can't necessarily take where the value is 25-30, owing to the background. However, the background is falling off quite rapidly, roughly a factor of 10 every 100 channels. At channel 300 or so, it appears to be negligible (<5), so channel 300 appears to be a suitable half-max point as well.

If you want to get more accurate, you could model the background as an exponential decay -- seems to be approximately 800*10-x/100, but it's best to do a least-squares regression for a more accurate fit. Then subtract the background function from the data to get a more reasonable picture of the signal peak of interest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Redbelly. I have Matlab but i can't use it =/ I have 3 sets of data ( at 1580V, at 1651V and at 1710V) and I need to fit a curve to them. Could it possible that the half max value is 37, at channel 728? How can i do a least-squares regression ( what is the equation in this example?). Thanks for your reply.

valesdn said:
Thanks Redbelly. I have Matlab but i can't use it =/ I have 3 sets of data ( at 1580V, at 1651V and at 1710V) and I need to fit a curve to them. Could it possible that the half max value is 37, at channel 728?
Sounds reasonable. You have the actual data, I only have a graph (without gridlines) to make estimates.
How can i do a least-squares regression ( what is the equation in this example?).
Just to the right of the high, narrow peak, a portion of the data forms a straight line on the semilog graph. Take just that data, that makes the straight-line, and do the regression on that portion of the data only. You can either fit an exponential decay to the actual data, or do a linear fit to log(y) vs. x.
Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome.

EDIT: If you're not allowed to use a software package for regression (?), equations for linear regression are given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_linear_regression#Fitting_the_regression_line

Last edited:
I have a text file. I've just imported data in Matlab and I've plotted data in that figure. But I've found only the peak value ( i can't add function for linear regression on the command window ). I plot log(y) vs. x. But i don't understand how can fit log(y) vs. x However, I'm using MATLAB for my first time. Do you know another simple programm? I need FWHM and a fitting curve vs. that distribution on that fig.

Related to What is the FWHM and fitting curve for the distribution in this figure?

What is the definition of Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM)?

Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) is a measurement used in science and technology to describe the width of a peak or curve at its half maximum height.

How is FWHM calculated?

FWHM is typically calculated by finding the points on a curve or peak where the value is equal to half of the maximum value, and then measuring the distance between these points.

What is the significance of FWHM in scientific experiments?

FWHM is used to quantify the resolution or precision of a measurement. In scientific experiments, a smaller FWHM indicates a higher precision or resolution, while a larger FWHM may indicate a broader or less precise measurement.

What is the difference between FWHM and Full Width at Tenth Maximum (FWTM)?

FWHM measures the width at half of the maximum value, while FWTM measures the width at one-tenth of the maximum value. FWTM is often used in conjunction with FWHM to provide a more complete understanding of the shape and width of a peak or curve.

Can FWHM be used in any type of measurement?

FWHM is commonly used in fields such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and signal processing, but can also be applied to other types of measurements that involve peaks or curves.