What Is the Guessed Form Using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

In summary, the guessed form using the method of undetermined coefficients would be $A\sin x + B\cos x$ for the first equation and $A\sin nx + B\cos nx$ for the second equation.
Dustinsfl
$$
A\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sin x\cosh \left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}t\right) + B\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sin x\sinh \left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}t\right)
$$

What would be the guessed form using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Also, if I had
$$
\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sum\left[\sin nx\left(C_n\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2-9}}{2}t\right)+D_n\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2-9}}{2}t\right)\right)\right],
$$
what would be the guessed form as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
A\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sin x\cosh \left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}t\right) + B\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sin x\sinh \left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}t\right)
$$

What would be the guessed form using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Also, if I had
$$
\exp\left(\frac{-t}{2}\right)\sum\left[\sin nx\left(C_n\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2-9}}{2}t\right)+D_n\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2-9}}{2}t\right)\right)\right],
$$
what would be the guessed form as well?

Hi dwsmith, :)

I don't understand your question. Are you talking about the method of undetermined coefficients? If so, what is the differential equation?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

I think what has been provided is the "right-hand side" of the differential equation, and the OP is wanting to know what form the particular solution will take.

FAQ: What Is the Guessed Form Using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

1. What is the concept of "Undetermined coefficients" in mathematics?

Undetermined coefficients is a method used to solve a differential equation by assuming a general form of the solution and then finding the coefficients that satisfy the equation.

2. When is the undetermined coefficients method typically used?

This method is typically used when the differential equation has constant coefficients and the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How does the undetermined coefficients method differ from the method of variation of parameters?

The undetermined coefficients method assumes a general form of the solution and solves for the coefficients, while the method of variation of parameters uses a specific form of the solution and solves for a set of functions to be multiplied by the solution.

4. What are the limitations of using the undetermined coefficients method?

The undetermined coefficients method can only be used for certain types of non-homogeneous terms, and it may not always give a solution for more complex differential equations.

5. Are there any tips for choosing the general form of the solution in the undetermined coefficients method?

It is recommended to choose a general form that is similar to the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation, and to include all possible terms that could satisfy the equation. It may also be helpful to check for any special cases that could arise in the solution.

Back