What is the Higgs boson and why is it important in theoretical physics?

• Thread starter Aaron1947
  • Start date
In summary, the Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s and was later discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider. It is an important component of the Standard Model of particle physics, explaining how particles acquire mass. Its discovery has confirmed the validity of the Standard Model and has opened up new possibilities for understanding the fundamental forces of nature. The existence of the Higgs boson also plays a crucial role in the search for a unified theory of all physical phenomena, known as the Theory of Everything.
Aaron1947
I try to stay up on the latest news in science, and I have a particular interest in theoretical physics, which has been somewhat renewed by the alleged discovery of the Higgs boson. I have no education in physics past freshman level Newtonian physics, with a very brief instruction in general relativity. Needless to say, I have questions! In general, I just want to learn enough to understand the concepts of what is discussed in the news.

Likes Evangeline101
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aaron1947.
snJL9SLm.gif