What is the impact of radiant pressure by the sun on cosmic dust?

In summary, the student is of 103 orders of magnitude away from the answer to part (b) of the homework, and is struggling with the intensity of the g-field.
unscientific

Homework Statement

I've solved part (a), but part (b) puzzles me as I am of 103 orders of magnitude away from the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Intensity on dust particle = 1600 W m-2
Earth-Sun Distance = (8*60)(3*108) = 1.44 * 1011m
Mass of Sun = 1.99 * 1030 kg
g-field strength = 6.4 * 10-3 N/kg
Force acting on dust particle = Mg = (4/3)∏R3g

Radiant force = P/c = (IA)/c = (I*∏R2)/c

(I*∏R2)/c = (4/3)∏R3g

R = (3I)/(4cρ*6.4*10-3)

The answer is 2*10-7 m

Attachments

• sun1.jpg
    sun1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

I've solved part (a), but part (b) puzzles me as I am of 103 orders of magnitude away from the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Intensity on dust particle = 1600 W m-2
Earth-Sun Distance = (8*60)(3*108) = 1.44 * 1011m
Mass of Sun = 1.99 * 1030 kg
g-field strength = 6.4 * 10-3 N/kg
Force acting on dust particle = Mg = (4/3)∏R3g

Radiant force = P/c = (IA)/c = (I*∏R2)/c(I*∏R2)/c = (4/3)∏R3g

R = (3I)/(4cρ*6.4*10-3)

The answer is 2*10-7 m

Did you include the density of the dust particle in the calculation? You missed out [itex]\rho[/itex] in a couple of steps, but put it into the last formula, so I'm not sure. But if you take the usual density estimates for cosmic dust into account, the result is definitely within the ballpark.

Curious3141 said:
Did you include the density of the dust particle in the calculation? You missed out [itex]\rho[/itex] in a couple of steps, but put it into the last formula, so I'm not sure. But if you take the usual density estimates for cosmic dust into account, the result is definitely within the ballpark.

Yes, I took the density of dust as the density of air, 1.22 kg/m3..

FAQ: What is the impact of radiant pressure by the sun on cosmic dust?

1. What is radiant pressure from the sun?

Radiant pressure from the sun is the force exerted by sunlight on an object due to its energy and intensity.

2. How does the sun's radiant pressure affect objects in space?

The sun's radiant pressure can have a significant impact on objects in space, especially small and lightweight objects. Objects like comets and asteroids can be pushed off their course or even disintegrate due to the force of the sun's radiation.

3. Is radiant pressure from the sun harmful to humans?

No, the radiant pressure from the sun is not harmful to humans. However, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can cause sunburns and other skin damage.

4. What is the unit of measurement for radiant pressure?

Radiant pressure is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

5. How is radiant pressure used in solar sail technology?

Radiant pressure is the driving force behind solar sail technology, which uses large reflective sails to harness the sun's radiation to propel spacecraft through space without the need for traditional fuel sources. By adjusting the angle of the sail, the spacecraft can be steered in different directions.

Back