What is the Induced EMF and Current in a Changing Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter skarner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, a flat coil of 200 turns of wire with an area of 10.0 cm by 10.0 cm is immersed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.500 T, pointing upwards towards the observer. The field is shut off in 200.0 ms and the resistance in the coil is 25.0 Ω. The average induced emf is 0.005 Wb and the induced magnetic field is pointing towards the observer. The induced current is anticlockwise with a magnitude of 0.20 A, generating 1.00 W of power.
skarner

Homework Statement

You are looking down at a flat coil of 200 turns of wire. It encloses an area of 10.0 cm by 10.0 cm. This coil is immersed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.500 T that penetrates the entire area. The field is pointing up towards you, the observer. The field is then shut off so that it drops to zero in 200.0 ms. The resistance in the coil of wire is 25.0 .

a) What is the average induced emf?
b) In what direction is the induced magnetic field?
c) What is the direction of the induced current?
d) What is the magnitude of the induced current?
e) What power has been generated in this circuit?

Homework Equations

o = B(A)Cos
s= - N(o)/t
I = V/R
P = VI[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) o =(0.500T)(0.01m^2)(Cos 0o)
o = 0.005 Wb
s = - (200)(0.005Wb)/(0.2s)
= -5.00v[/B]

b) Induced magnetic filed is pointing towards me.

c) Anticlockwise

d) I = 5.00V/25.0(ohm)
= 0.20 A

e) P = (0.20A)(5.00V) = 1.00 W

Physics news on Phys.org
This is first time trying out here, so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Induced EMF and Current in a Changing Magnetic Field?

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's Electromagnetic Induction, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor.

2. What is Len's Law?

Len's Law, also known as Len's Law of Electromagnetic Induction, states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change that caused it.

3. How are Faraday's and Len's Law related?

Faraday's and Len's Laws are closely related as they both describe the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. Faraday's Law explains how a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current, while Len's Law explains the direction of the induced current.

4. What are the practical applications of Faraday's and Len's Law?

Faraday's and Len's Laws are fundamental principles in the fields of electromagnetism and electrical engineering. They are used in various technologies such as generators, transformers, and electric motors.

5. Can Faraday's and Len's Law be violated?

No, Faraday's and Len's Laws are fundamental laws of electromagnetism and have been extensively tested and proven to be true. These laws are considered to be some of the most accurate and reliable laws in physics.