What Is the Induced EMF in the Coil?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the emf induced in a tightly wound coil at the center of a solenoid with specific dimensions and a varying current. The formula for calculating the magnetic field of the solenoid is mentioned, as well as the use of the solenoid's area in all equations. The commenter is seeking clarification on their calculations and requests assistance with finding the correct value for dB/dt.
Ling2
A solenoid of length 45 cm has 340 turns of radius 2.2 cm. A tightly wound coil with 16 turns of radius 4.4 cm is at the center of the solenoid. The axes of the coil and solenoid coincide. Find the emf induced in the coil if the current in the solenoid varies according to I=4.6sin(50∏t)A.

Answer: __________cos(50∏t) mV

Comments:
I can't seem to find the correct answer for the magnetic field of the solenoid.
The formula I use is:
B=0.5μ0nI(sinθ2-sinθ1)
The area to use for all equations is the area of the solenoid since it is the area of magnetic field lines felt by the coil.
The flux, denoted ∅ is: ∅=BAcosσ and σ=0o, therefore ∅=BA
and the EMF=-N(d∅/dt)=-NA(dB/dt)

I really appreciate any help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
B on the axis and at the centre of a 'long' solenoid is given by B = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex]nI where n = number of turns/length of solenoid.

Last edited:
Assuming the solenoid is long an using that formula, my answer is wrong. Is there anything missing to the comments I added for solving this problem?

Can you show the working for dB/dt?

I understand your frustration with finding the correct solution for the magnetic field of the solenoid. However, it is important to note that there are different formulas and methods for calculating the magnetic field in a solenoid, and the one you are using may not be the most suitable for this specific problem.

In this case, I would recommend using the formula for the magnetic field inside a solenoid, which is B=μ0nI. In this formula, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length (in this case, 340/0.45 m), and I is the current in the solenoid.

Using this formula, we can calculate the magnetic field at the center of the solenoid, where the tightly wound coil is located. Plugging in the values, we get B= (4π×10^-7)(340/0.45)(4.6sin(50πt)) = 0.033sin(50πt) T.

To find the EMF induced in the coil, we can use Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the EMF induced in a coil is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. In this case, the coil is at the center of the solenoid, so we can use the same magnetic field value as before. Therefore, the EMF induced in the coil is given by EMF = -N(d∅/dt) = -N(A(dB/dt)) = -16(0.033cos(50πt))(50π) = -2.64cos(50πt) mV.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for this problem. It is always important to carefully consider which formula and method is most suitable for a given problem, as different situations may require different approaches. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to What Is the Induced EMF in the Coil?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire with an electric current running through it. It produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the wire.

2. How is the magnetic field of a solenoid determined?

The magnetic field of a solenoid can be determined by using the formula B=μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the current passing through the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current passing through the coil, and the material of the core inside the coil. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the current, then your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid.

5. How is the magnetic field inside a solenoid different from the magnetic field outside?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is strong and uniform, while the magnetic field outside the solenoid is weak and non-uniform. This is because the magnetic field lines inside the solenoid are concentrated within the coil, while outside the solenoid they are more spread out and less organized.