What is the Instantaneous Velocity Question and How to Solve It?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about instantaneous velocity in which the student initially calculates an incorrect answer before realizing their mistake and finding the correct solution. The importance of showing work and being mindful of graph details is also emphasized.
Jane W

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with the last question my teacher gave me. I have attached a picture. It is about instantaneous velocity. I did the same thing for all the other questions?[/B]

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 7.50.10 PM.png

Homework Equations

average velocity = delta x / delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

I did 0-(-6)/(8-7) = 6[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. Apparently the tip of the line is not on 6 but on 5. I think that is not very visible.

Well done :)
When graphs have a fat line, the pointy-bits can cover a lot of ground. Always read to the middle of the line - use a ruler if you can.
For the future - please show your working. That would make how you are thinking clear so we can best help you.
Don't worry about looking stupid - we have all done stupider things than you: we understand ;)

FAQ: What is the Instantaneous Velocity Question and How to Solve It?

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how fast and in what direction an object is moving at an exact point in time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

While average velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero. In other words, instantaneous velocity measures the velocity at a single moment, while average velocity measures the overall velocity over a period of time.

3. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for calculating instantaneous velocity is v = limΔt→0 Δx / Δt, where v is the instantaneous velocity, Δx is the change in position and Δt is the change in time.

4. How is instantaneous velocity measured?

Instantaneous velocity can be measured using various tools such as a speedometer, radar gun, or GPS system. These tools measure the change in position over a very small time interval, allowing for a more accurate calculation of instantaneous velocity.

5. Why is instantaneous velocity important in science?

Instantaneous velocity is important in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects at a particular moment in time. It is also a key concept in calculus and is used to study the rate of change of a moving object, which is essential in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.

Back