What is the Integral of exp(-i*x^2) from -infinity to +infinity?

• Thread starter VVS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of exp(-i*x^2) from -infinity to +infinity and how it relates to complex analysis. The solution involves using the substitution y=sqrt(i)x and evaluating the integral from -infinity-i*infinity to +infinity+i*infinity, but it is noted that just evaluating the integral from -infinity to +infinity also yields the correct answer. The speaker is curious about the mathematical precision of this approach and mentions the Fresnel integral as a potential explanation.
VVS
Hello!

I am doing this purely out of curiousity.

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate exp(-i*x^2) from -infinity to +infinity. Given that the integral from -infinity to infinity of exp(-x^2)=sqrt(pi).

I typed it in Wolfram Alpha and I got (1/sqrt(2)-i*1/sqrt(2))*sqrt(pi).

One can arrive at this solution by substituting the integral y=sqrt(i)x

Then one gets (1/sqrt(2)-i/sqrt(2))*integral exp(-y^2) from -infinity to infinity

BUT here is the catch. The limits have changed from -infinity to infinity to -infinity-i*infinity to +infinity+i*infinity.

However if you just evaluate the integral from -infinity to +infinity you get the right answer.
How can it be right? Isn't it mathematically inprecise? Or is there a mathematical theorem in complex analysis in which -infinity is the same the -i*infinity or something like that?

I am really curious to know.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand [itex]\exp(-ix^2)[/itex] and you get [itex]\cos(x^2) - i\sin(x^2)[/itex]. Both [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \cos(x^2)\,dx[/itex] and [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sin(x^2)\,dx[/itex] are well-defined. Google "Fresnel integral" for more info.

Related to What is the Integral of exp(-i*x^2) from -infinity to +infinity?

What is the integral of exp(-i*x^2)?

The integral of exp(-i*x^2) is a complex-valued function that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It is commonly denoted as Fresnel integral or Gaussian integral and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How can the integral of exp(-i*x^2) be evaluated?

The integral of exp(-i*x^2) can be evaluated using various numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. It can also be approximated by using infinite series, such as the Taylor series or the Fourier series.

What is the significance of the integral of exp(-i*x^2) in quantum mechanics?

The integral of exp(-i*x^2) plays a crucial role in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a certain position and is used to calculate the wave function of a quantum system.

Can the integral of exp(-i*x^2) be solved analytically?

No, the integral of exp(-i*x^2) cannot be solved analytically. It is a non-elementary integral, meaning that it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponentials, trigonometric functions, etc.

What are some other applications of the integral of exp(-i*x^2)?

The integral of exp(-i*x^2) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of diffraction and scattering of waves, in statistical mechanics, in signal processing, and in solving certain differential equations. It also has applications in the field of optics, particularly in Fourier optics and Gaussian beam propagation.