What is the Integral of Sin(x)/(x^2+1) from -1 to 1?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the even function rule for integration states that if your function is an even function (i.e. f(x) = f(-x) for all x), then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{-a}^a{f(x)\,\mathrm{d}x} = F(a)-F(-a) = F(a)\\ \end{align*}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\text{S6.7.r.12}$

$$\displaystyle
\int_{-1}^{1}\frac{\sin\left({x}\right)}{1+x^2} \,dx =0 $$

graphing this, it shows an odd function with the values canceling each other out resulting in zero.
but step wise not sure how to take the integral of this.

View attachment 5816

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure the integral is non-elementary. Wolfram Alpha gives a nasty result.

yeah I don't know its an even problem # so no bk answer the TI said it was zero.

online Integral Calculator gave this
$$\dfrac{\mathrm{i}\cosh\left(1\right)\left(\operatorname{Si}\left(x+\mathrm{i}\right)
-\operatorname{Si}\left(x-\mathrm{i}\right)\right)+\sinh\left(1\right)\left(\operatorname{Ci}\left(x+\mathrm{i}\right)+\operatorname{Ci}\left(x-\mathrm{i}\right)\right)}{2}$$

I was clueless

karush said:
$\text{S6.7.r.12}$

$$\displaystyle
\int_{-1}^{1}\frac{\sin\left({x}\right)}{1+x^2} \,dx =0 $$

graphing this, it shows an odd function with the values canceling each other out resulting in zero.
but step wise not sure how to take the integral of this.

Theorem: If your function f(x) is an odd function (i.e. f(x) = f(-x) for all x) then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{-a}^a{f(x)\,\mathrm{d}x} = 0 \end{align*}$.

So all you need to do is show that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\sin{ \left( -x \right) }}{1 + \left( -x \right) ^2} = -\left[ \frac{\sin{(x)}}{1 + x^2} \right] \end{align*}$...

Suppose we have an even function $F$:

\(\displaystyle F(x)=F(-x)\)

and we differentiate w.r.t $x$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}F(x)=\frac{d}{dx}F(-x)\)

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-f(-x)\)

We see then that $f$ (the derivative of $F$) must be an odd function, therefore we know the anti-derivative of an odd function is an even function, and thus we may state:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-a}^{a}f(x)\,dx=F(a)-F(-a)=F(a)-F(a)=0\)

This is the odd-function rule for integration.

I guess the hint was -1 to 1

FAQ: What is the Integral of Sin(x)/(x^2+1) from -1 to 1?

1. What does "S6.7.r.12 int sinx/(x^2+1)" represent?

The expression "S6.7.r.12 int sinx/(x^2+1)" represents the indefinite integral of the function sinx/(x^2+1) with respect to x. This is a mathematical notation used to represent the antiderivative of a function.

2. What is the significance of "S6.7.r.12" in the expression?

The number "S6.7.r.12" represents the specific problem or exercise number where this integral is found. It is commonly used in textbooks and study materials to identify and refer to specific problems.

3. How do you solve this integral?

The integral "S6.7.r.12 int sinx/(x^2+1)" can be solved using various methods, including integration by substitution, integration by parts, or the method of partial fractions. It is recommended to use a combination of techniques to solve this type of integral.

4. What is the domain of the function sinx/(x^2+1)?

The domain of the function sinx/(x^2+1) is all real numbers except for x = ±i, where i is the imaginary unit. This is because the denominator x^2+1 becomes 0 at these points, making the function undefined.

5. Can you provide an application of this integral in real life?

One application of this type of integral is in the study of harmonic motion, which is used to model the movement of objects in oscillating systems such as a pendulum or a spring. In engineering and physics, integrals like "S6.7.r.12 int sinx/(x^2+1)" are used to calculate the amplitude, frequency, and period of these systems.