What is the integral of x^2 over 1+x^10 from 0 to infinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, an integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph and the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. The formula for calculating an integral is given by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and can be evaluated using various methods such as basic integration rules, integration by parts, and substitution. The limits of integration specify the interval over which the integral is being evaluated and can determine if the integral has an infinite value if the function being integrated is unbounded.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Evaluate $\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{x^2}{1+x^{10}} \, dx.$

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to kiwi for his correct answer! It is posted below:

Consider the related closed contour integral in the complex plane (with r > 1):

[tex]\oint_R \frac{z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz=\int^{(r,0)}_{(-r,0)} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz+\int _{arc} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz[/tex]

where "arc" is the semi circle in the upper half plane, centred on the origin and terminating on (r,0) and (-r,0) and the first integral is in the complex plane along the real axis.

The curve R contains five simple poles, located at:
[tex]p_1=e^{\frac{\pi i}{10}}[/tex], [tex]p_2=e^{\frac{3 \pi i}{10}}[/tex], [tex]p_3=e^{5 \frac{\pi i}{10}}[/tex], [tex]p_4=e^{\frac{7 \pi i}{10}}[/tex], [tex]p_5=e^{\frac{9 \pi i}{10}}[/tex].

The residues of these poles are given by:
[tex]Res(z_i)=\frac{x^2}{\frac{d}{dz}(1+x^{10})}=\frac 1{10}z^{-7}[/tex]
So
[tex]Res(z_1)=-\frac {1}{10}e^{\frac{3 \pi i}{10}}[/tex]

[tex]Res(z_2)=\frac {1}{10}e^{\frac{- \pi i}{10}}[/tex]

[tex]Res(z_3)=-\frac {i}{10}[/tex]

[tex]Res(z_4)=-\frac {1}{10}e^{\frac{ \pi i}{10}}[/tex]

[tex]Res(z_5)=\frac {1}{10}e^{\frac{-3 \pi i}{10}}[/tex]

The sum of the real part of these residues is zero, so:

[tex]SumResidues=\frac {1}{10}\large(-2i \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})-2i \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})+i\large)[/tex]

[tex]\oint_R \frac{z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz=\int^{(r,0)}_{(-r,0)} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz+\int _{arc} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz=2 \pi i \times SumResidues[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \int^{(r,0)}_{(-r,0)} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz+\int _{arc} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz=\frac {2 \pi i}{10}\large(-2i \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})-2i \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})+i\large)[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \int^{(r,0)}_{(-r,0)} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz+\int _{arc} \frac {z^2}{1+z^{10}}dz=\frac {\pi }{5}\large(2 \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})+2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})-1\large)[/tex]

Now taking the limit as r goes to infinity:

[tex]\therefore \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac {x^2}{1+x^{10}}dx+\int _{arc} \frac {1}{z^{8}}=\frac {\pi }{5}\large(2 \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})+2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})-1\large)[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac {x^2}{1+x^{10}}dx=\frac {\pi }{5}\large(2 \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})+2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})-1\large)[/tex]

And finally using the fact that the integrand is an even function:

[tex]\therefore \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac {x^2}{1+x^{10}}dx=\frac {\pi }{10}\large(2 \sin(\frac{3 \pi}{10})+2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{10})-1\large)[/tex]

Related to What is the integral of x^2 over 1+x^10 from 0 to infinity?

1. What is the concept of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. What is the formula for calculating the integral of a function?

The formula for calculating the integral of a function is given by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the integral of a function f(x) from a to b is equal to the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at b minus the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at a. In mathematical notation, it can be expressed as ∫ab f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a), where F(x) is the antiderivative (or indefinite integral) of f(x).

3. How do you evaluate an integral?

There are several methods for evaluating integrals, including using basic integration rules, integration by parts, and substitution. The method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated. In the case of the integral of x^2 over 1+x^10 from 0 to infinity, it can be evaluated using integration by parts or substitution.

4. What is the purpose of the limits of integration in an integral?

The limits of integration specify the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. They determine the starting and ending points on the x-axis for the area under the curve to be calculated. In the case of the integral of x^2 over 1+x^10 from 0 to infinity, the limits of integration are important because the function is not defined for all values of x, so the interval must be specified.

5. Can an integral have an infinite value?

Yes, an integral can have an infinite value if the function being integrated is unbounded. In other words, if the function approaches infinity at one or both of the limits of integration, then the integral will also be infinite. In the case of the integral of x^2 over 1+x^10 from 0 to infinity, the function approaches infinity at the upper limit of integration, so the integral will have an infinite value.