What is the Integral Value When z0 is Outside the Curve C in Cauchy's Formula?

In summary, the question is asking what the value of 1/(2πi)∫f(z)/(z-z0)dz is, where D is a simply connected region in the complex domain and C is a simple closed curve contained in D. It is given that f(z) is analytic in D and z0 is a point not enclosed by C. Using Cauchy's formula, it can be shown that the integral is equal to 0, as z0 is not part of the path of integration.
bbdynamite

Homework Statement

Let D be a simply connected region in C (complex domain) and let C be a simple closed curve contained in D. Let f(z) be analytic in D. Suppose that z0 is a point which is not enclosed by C. What is 1/(2πi)∫f(z)/(z-z0)dz?

Homework Equations

Cauchy's formula: f(z0) = 1/(2πi)∫f(z)/(z-z0)dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a gut feeling that since z0 is not in enclosed by C, it is also not part of D. Since f(z) is analytic in D, this somehow means that f(z) = 0 outside of D so f(z0) = 0. I know I'm missing a lot of connections and mathematical reasoning, but this is a guess I have because I don't actually know how to show it mathematically. Help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What f does outside of D is unknown, so irrelevant.
C is contained in D; z0 is in D but outside C. Are you perhaps confused by the use of C at the start of the question as a reference to the complex plane? Everywhere else it is referring to a closed curve inside D.
For Cauchy's integral formula to apply, what would be the relationship between z0 and the path of the integral?

Likes 1 person
The whole point of this question is that the integral of an function, analytic inside a given closed curve, around that closed curve, is 0. Did you not know that?

The proof is fairly simple: any analytic function, pretty much by definition, can be written as a Taylor's series. If you integrate term by term, the integral of [itex](z- a)^n[/itex] about a closed curve containing a, is equivalent to integration around a circle with center at a and that is 0:
Let [tex]z= a+ Re^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\int_C (z- a)^n dz= \int_0^{2\pi} (Re^{i\theta})(iRe^{i\theta}d\theta)= iR^2\int_0^{2\pi} e^{2i\theta}d\theta= \left[(R^2/2)e^{2i\theta}\right]_0^{2\pi}= 0[/tex]

Likes 1 person

FAQ: What is the Integral Value When z0 is Outside the Curve C in Cauchy's Formula?

1. What is Cauchy's Formula?

Cauchy's Formula is a mathematical concept developed by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy. It states that for a function f(z) that is analytic in a simply connected region D, and a closed contour C lying in D, the integral of f(z) around C is equal to the sum of the values of f(z) at all points inside C.

2. How is Cauchy's Formula used in proofs?

Cauchy's Formula is often used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals and to prove theorems about analytic functions. It allows for the calculation of complex integrals in terms of the values of the function at specific points, making it a powerful tool in proving results in complex analysis.

3. Can Cauchy's Formula be used for any function?

Cauchy's Formula is only valid for analytic functions, which are functions that can be represented by a convergent power series. This means that not all functions can be evaluated using Cauchy's Formula, and it is important to determine the analyticity of a function before using this formula in a proof.

4. How does Cauchy's Formula relate to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Cauchy's Formula is derived from the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary conditions for a function to be analytic. These equations relate the real and imaginary parts of a complex function and provide a way to check for analyticity, making them an important part of using Cauchy's Formula in proofs.

5. Are there any limitations to Cauchy's Formula?

Cauchy's Formula has some limitations, including the fact that it is only valid for simply connected regions and closed contours. It also requires the function to be analytic, which is not always the case for functions in complex analysis. Additionally, the formula may be difficult to apply in certain situations, making it important to consider alternative methods in proving results.

Back