What is the Integration Formula for x and p in Maxima?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function with two variables, x and p, and how to approach it using a limit and u-substitution. The answer given by Maxima for the definite integral is $\frac{\ln^{1-p}(x)}{1-p}$, while the book's answer is $\frac{1}{(p-1)2^{p-1}}$. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to simplify the integral and the final answer is $\frac{2^{1-p}}{p-1}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\Large{§8.8.15} \\
\tiny\text {Leeward 206 Integration to Infinity}$
$$\displaystyle
\int_{e^{2}}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x\ln^p\left({x}\right)}\,dx \,, p>1$$
$\text{not sure how to deal with this} $
$\text{since there are two variables x and p} $

$\text{answer by maxima is:'} $
$$\displaystyle \dfrac{\ln^{1-p}\left(x\right)}{1-p}$$$\tiny\text{ Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, the first thing I would do is set the definite integral up as a limit because of the infinite upper bound:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{e^2}^t \frac{1}{x\ln^p(x)}\,dx\right)\)

Next, I would use the following $u$-substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(x)\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{x}dx\)

And for out limits of integration

\(\displaystyle u\left(e^2\right)=\ln\left(e^2\right)=2\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\left(u(x)\right)=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\ln(x)\right)=\infty\)

So, now we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{2}^t u^{-p}\,du\right)\)

Can you proceed? :D

$\text{are you sugesting} $
$$\displaystyle
I=\left[\frac{-\ln^{1-p} \left({x}\right)}{p-1}\right]_2 ^\infty$$

$\text{the book answer was} $
$$\displaystyle
\frac{1}{\left(p-1\right){2}^{p-1}}$$

Last edited:
karush said:
$\text{are you sugesting} $
$$\displaystyle
I=\left[\frac{-\ln^{1-p} \left({x}\right)}{p-1}\right]_2 ^\infty$$

More like:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{1-p}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left.u^{1-p}\right|_2^t\right)\)

Sorry it's simple I know: but I don't see it?

karush said:
Sorry it's simple I know: but I don't see it?

Nothing is "simple" when you are first learning it...I learned things like this more than 20 years ago, so I've likely done it a few more times than you have. :D

To finish it up, I would write:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{1-p}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left.u^{1-p}\right|_2^t\right)=\frac{1}{1-p}\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(t^{1-p}-2^{1-p}\right)=\frac{2^{1-p}}{p-1}\)

The term $t^{1-p}$ goes to zero as $t$ grows without bound, because $1<p$...does this all make sense?

OK got what's happening
Sure appreciate the help😊

FAQ: What is the Integration Formula for x and p in Maxima?

1. What is -z.53 Integration to Infinity?

-z.53 Integration to Infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the process of finding the area under a curve from a starting point to infinity. It is often used in calculus to solve problems involving continuous functions.

2. How is -z.53 Integration to Infinity different from regular integration?

The main difference is that -z.53 Integration to Infinity involves finding the area under a curve from a starting point to infinity, whereas regular integration has a finite endpoint. This makes -z.53 Integration to Infinity a more complex and challenging concept to understand and solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of -z.53 Integration to Infinity?

-z.53 Integration to Infinity has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of motion and forces. It is also commonly used in economics to calculate the total revenue or cost of a product over an infinite time period.

4. What are some techniques for solving -z.53 Integration to Infinity problems?

There are several techniques for solving -z.53 Integration to Infinity problems, including the substitution method, partial fractions, and the method of integration by parts. Choosing the most appropriate technique depends on the specific problem and the function being integrated.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving -z.53 Integration to Infinity problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration when solving indefinite -z.53 Integration to Infinity problems. It is also important to be careful with substitutions and to check for algebraic errors when using other techniques. Additionally, it is important to understand the properties of infinity and how they affect the limits of integration.