What is the intensity of the transmitted light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the intensity of transmitted light through two polarizers that are out of alignment by 30°. Using Malus' law, the correct expression is I = I0 * cos(theta)^2, which gives an intensity of 3.34 W/m2. The conversation continues to consider the possibility of dividing this value by 2 since the light is initially polarized halfway between the polarizing angles of the two filters.
yjk91

Homework Statement

Two polarizers are out of alignment by 30°. If light of intensity 3.86 W/m2 and initially polarized halfway between the polarizing angles of the two filters passes through the two filters, what is the intensity of the transmitted light?

The Attempt at a Solution

Use Malus' law:

I = I0 * cos(theta)
which gives me 3.34 W/m2

but it's not right... any hints?
should i divide it by 2 since it says that it is polarized halfway between ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the wrong expression for Malus' law.

i forgot square

I = I0 * cos(theta)^2 other than that it's right

So how would you go about solving this now that you have the correct form of Malus' Law?

Your attempt at using Malus' law is correct. However, since the initial polarized light is halfway between the polarizing angles of the two filters, the transmitted light will be divided equally between the two filters. Therefore, you would need to divide the intensity by 2 to get the final result of 1.67 W/m2. This is because the first filter will only allow half of the light to pass through, and then the second filter will only allow half of that remaining light to pass through.

Related to What is the intensity of the transmitted light?

1. What is intensity of transmitted light?

Intensity of transmitted light refers to the amount of light that is able to pass through a sample or material. It is measured in units of energy per unit area per unit time, such as watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is intensity of transmitted light measured?

Intensity of transmitted light can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a spectrophotometer or a photometer. These instruments measure the amount of light that passes through a sample and gives a numerical value for the intensity.

3. What factors affect the intensity of transmitted light?

The intensity of transmitted light can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and composition of the sample, the wavelength of the light, and the presence of any absorbing or scattering materials in the sample.

4. How does the intensity of transmitted light relate to the color of a sample?

The intensity of transmitted light can affect the perceived color of a sample. For example, if a sample absorbs a certain color of light, the transmitted light will appear to be a different color. This is the basis for colorimetry, which measures the intensity of transmitted light to determine the color of a sample.

5. What are some applications of measuring the intensity of transmitted light?

Measuring the intensity of transmitted light has many applications, such as in spectrophotometry, colorimetry, and determining the concentration of a substance. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental testing to analyze samples and ensure quality control.