What Is the Internal Energy of an Electron Moving at 0.750c0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of internal energy in relation to an electron moving at a speed of 0.750c in the Earth reference frame. The equations for rest energy, total energy, and kinetic energy are mentioned, but there is confusion about the term "internal energy" and its relation to the electron's speed. The correct equation for calculating internal energy is E=mc^2.
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

What is the internal energy of an electron moving at 0.750c0 in the Earth reference frame?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E = mc^2
E = (9.11 * 10^-31)(.750)(3*10^8)

However, this appears incorrect. What have I done wrong or what am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "internal" energy? It's just one particle, so the options are "rest energy", "kinetic energy" and "total energy".
If m is the mass of an electron, c is light speed, and v is the speed of the electron, then:

Rest energy is [tex] E=mc^2 [/tex]
Total energy is [tex] E_T = \frac{mc^2}{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]
Kinetic energy is [tex] KE = E_T - E [/tex]

I ran into this post trying to solve a question from Pearson's Principles and Practices of Physics (by Mazur). The question is looking for the "intrinsic" energy: the energy of the particle when it appears at rest; i.e. ##mc ^ 2##. I don't know why they use the wrong term or why they mention the speed of the particle.

Related to What Is the Internal Energy of an Electron Moving at 0.750c0?

1. What is the internal energy of an electron?

The internal energy of an electron refers to the total energy possessed by an electron within an atom, including both its kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the internal energy of an electron measured?

The internal energy of an electron can be measured through various techniques, such as spectroscopy or electron energy loss spectroscopy, which involve analyzing the emitted or absorbed energy by an electron during a transition between energy levels.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of an electron?

The internal energy of an electron can be affected by several factors, including the electron's energy level or orbital, the atom's nuclear charge or atomic number, and the presence of external forces such as magnetic or electric fields.

4. Can the internal energy of an electron change?

Yes, the internal energy of an electron can change as it transitions between different energy levels or orbits within an atom. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as collisions with other particles or interaction with electromagnetic radiation.

5. What is the significance of the internal energy of an electron?

The internal energy of an electron is essential for understanding the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in various technological applications, such as semiconductor devices and nuclear energy production.

Back