What is the Joint Distribution Problem for Coupon Collection?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving collecting different types of coupons and finding the probability of a specific combination of types being present in a subset of the collected coupons. The conversation presents a solution using joint probability mass functions and asks for help with finding a specific probability.
asdf71
Hello,

I have a problem I need help with:

Homework Statement

There are 10 different types of coupons, each with prob 1/10 of being chosen. A total of N>=1 coupons are collected.
Xi= 1 if type-i coupon is among the N coupons, i =1, ..., 10
0 otherwise
Let S=X1+X2+X3 be the number of different types out of the subset {1,2,3} contained in the collection.
a) Find P(S=k), k=0,1,2,3

Homework Equations

Joint pmf: p(x1,x2,x3)=p(x1)*p(x2|x1)*p(x3|x1,x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that:

P(Xi=0)=(9/10)^N
P(Xi=1)=1-(9/10)^N

Therefore

P(X1=0,X2=0,X3=0)= p(0)*p(0|0)*p(0|0,0)= (9/10)^N * (8/9)^N * (7/8)^N = (7/10)^N
p(0|0)=(8/9)^N because if we know that there are no type-1 coupon among the N, we know that there are only 9 types.

P(X1=0,X2=0,X3=1)= p(0)*p(0|0)*p(1|0,0)= (9/10)^N * (8/9)^N * (1-7/8)^N = (8/10)^N - (7/10)^N

Next probability is more difficult:
P(X1=0,X2=1,X3=1)= p(0)*p(1|0)*p(1|0,1)=

How do I find p(1|0,1)?

This is probability that there is a type-3 coupon among the N, given that there is no type-1 coupon, but there is type-2 coupon.
There is no type-1 coupon, so there is only 9 types left.
There is a type-2 coupon, so there is at least one type-2 coupon among the N, but I don't know how many... so I can only assume that there is one type-2 coupon? This would be p(1|0,1)=(1-(8/9)^(N-1)) ?

After that P(X1=1,X2=1,X3=1) is 1 minus all the other probabilities, and my problem is complete.

The only probability I can't find is p(1|0,1) and if anyone could help me it would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it goes something like this:
if you have an infinite pile of coupons from which you select n, or if you put the coupon back after you look at it then:
Notice that P(x_1)=P(x_2)=P(x_3) because they are independent. Then you are performing three bernouli trials. What kind of probability is that?

Related to What is the Joint Distribution Problem for Coupon Collection?

1. What is a joint distribution problem?

A joint distribution problem is a type of statistical problem that involves determining the probability of two or more events occurring simultaneously. It is also known as a multivariate distribution problem.

2. What are the key components of a joint distribution problem?

The key components of a joint distribution problem are the random variables, the joint probability function, and the probability distribution table. Random variables represent the events being studied, the joint probability function calculates the probability of each combination of events, and the probability distribution table displays the probabilities in a table format.

3. How is a joint distribution problem different from a marginal distribution problem?

A joint distribution problem involves calculating the probability of two or more events occurring simultaneously, whereas a marginal distribution problem involves calculating the probability of a single event occurring. In a joint distribution problem, the probabilities of all possible combinations of events must add up to 1, whereas in a marginal distribution problem, the probability of a single event must add up to 1.

4. What are some common methods for solving joint distribution problems?

Some common methods for solving joint distribution problems include using the joint probability function to calculate probabilities, using the probability distribution table to display the probabilities visually, and using statistical software to perform calculations and create visualizations.

5. What are some real-world applications of joint distribution problems?

Joint distribution problems have many real-world applications, such as in finance for calculating the probability of multiple investments performing well simultaneously, in epidemiology for determining the likelihood of multiple risk factors leading to a disease, and in engineering for analyzing the probability of multiple components of a system working together successfully.