What Is the Jumper’s Speed at 12.5 m Above the Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy to determine a bungee jumper's speed at a certain height above water. The jumper's mass, the platform height, the length and force constant of the bungee cord, and the speed at which the jumper touches the water are all given. The formula used to solve for the jumper's speed is also mentioned, with a minor error in calculation being identified.
sillydude

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper of mass 64.5 kg (including safety gear) is
standing on a platform 48.0 m above a river. The length of
the unstretched bungee cord is 10.1 m. The force constant
of the cord is 65.5 N/m. The jumper falls from rest and just
touches the water at a speed of zero. The cord acts like an
ideal spring. Use conservation of energy to determine the
jumper’s speed at a height of 12.5 m above the water on
the first fall.

The Attempt at a Solution

so I decided that Eg(at the top of the platform)=Ek+Ee+Eg'(12.5 above water floor)

so for h initial i used 48m...h'= 12.5m and x(stretch of the cord)= 25.5m
therefore
mg(48)=.5k(25.5^2)+.5mv^2+mg(12.5)

i solved for V and got 5.96m/s, the answer is 6.37m/s...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your error is merely computational. I get the stretch of the cord to be 25.4m, not 25.5, which apparently has a large difference because the value is squared.

Nabeshin said:
I think your error is merely computational. I get the stretch of the cord to be 25.4m, not 25.5, which apparently has a large difference because the value is squared.

bingo!..thanks a lot!

Related to What Is the Jumper’s Speed at 12.5 m Above the Water?

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and used in different systems. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior and outcomes of physical processes.

How does conservation of energy apply to real-world problems?

Conservation of energy applies to real-world problems by providing a framework for understanding and analyzing energy-related issues, such as energy production and consumption, energy efficiency, and renewable energy sources.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in action?

Some examples of conservation of energy in action include a swinging pendulum, a roller coaster, or a falling object. In these cases, the total amount of energy remains constant, but it is constantly being transformed between kinetic and potential energy.

What are the consequences of violating the law of conservation of energy?

If the law of conservation of energy is violated, it would mean that energy can be created or destroyed, which goes against our current understanding of physics. This could lead to incorrect predictions and could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

Back