What Is the Kinetic Energy Equation for a Mass on a Double Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a cable as a rigid bar and the equation for finding the kinetic energy of a mass on the end. There is also a question about finding the position of the mass or angles of the two bars given certain information. The conversation also mentions the use of Calc 4 and Stokes Theorem. Another comment suggests burning the thread and using free fall to find the answer. Finally, there is a misunderstanding about the equation for kinetic energy and a request to delete a post.
Axecutioner
co9cR.png

You can treat the cable as another rigid bar in this case, both massless. I just need the equation for the Kinetic Energy of the mass on the end.

Is there an equation for if the main bar is torqued at a given τ(t), and any other necessary information is given, to find the position of the mass on the end or the angles of the two bars at any given time?

I'm in a Statics class right now and will be taking advanced dynamics in the fall but I'd like to work on a personal project in the fall. Done through Calc 4 and Stokes Theorem if it matters.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Burn the thread. The ball will remain and will perform free fall. Then you will easily get your answer.

That doesn't help at all.

I know K = 1/2*I*w^2 but what would the omega be? Just both angular velocities added together?

Sorry, misunderstanding. Please delete this post.

Last edited:
for your question. The double pendulum is a classic problem in mechanics that can be solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, including calculus and Stokes' theorem. The equation for the kinetic energy of the mass on the end of the double pendulum will depend on the positions and velocities of both masses, as well as the length and mass of the bars.

To find the position of the mass on the end or the angles of the two bars at any given time, you will need to use the equations of motion for the double pendulum, which can be derived using Lagrangian mechanics. These equations will involve the angles and angular velocities of the two bars, as well as the torques acting on the system.

I would recommend studying the dynamics of the double pendulum in more depth, as it is a complex and fascinating problem with many potential solutions. I also encourage you to continue exploring the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as Stokes' theorem, in solving physical problems. Good luck with your personal project!

Related to What Is the Kinetic Energy Equation for a Mass on a Double Pendulum?

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums attached to each other, with the second pendulum attached to the end of the first one. It is a classic example of a chaotic system, meaning that even small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes.

2. How does a double pendulum work?

A double pendulum works by utilizing the principle of conservation of energy. When the first pendulum is released, it begins to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. As it swings, it transfers energy to the second pendulum, causing it to also swing. The motion of the two pendulums is constantly changing and can be difficult to predict.

3. What factors affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The motion of a double pendulum can be affected by a variety of factors, including the length of the pendulum arms, the mass of the pendulums, and the initial angle of release. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the motion of the pendulums.

4. Why is the double pendulum considered a chaotic system?

The double pendulum is considered a chaotic system because it is highly sensitive to initial conditions. This means that even small differences in the starting position or angle can result in drastically different outcomes. This sensitivity makes it difficult to predict the exact motion of the pendulum over time.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying the double pendulum?

While the double pendulum may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it actually has many real-world applications. For example, understanding the chaotic nature of the double pendulum can help engineers design more stable structures, and it can also be used to model the motion of molecules in chemistry and physics.