What Is the Kinetic Energy of the Mars Climate Orbiter Relative to Earth?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the kinetic and potential energy of the Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft in relation to the Earth. The person is unsure of their calculations and is seeking help in finding the correct equations to use. They eventually figure out the correct equation for calculating gravitational potential energy.
badman
i can't seem to figure this problem out.

Ten days after it was launched toward Mars in December 1998, the Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft (mass 629 kg) was 2.87 \times 10^{6} \;{\rm km} from the Earth and traveling at 1.20 \times 10^{4} \;{\rm km}/{\rm h} relative to the earth.

At this time, what was the spacecraft 's kinetic energy relative to the earth?

i tried converting the traveling speed to meters per second, sqauring it, multiplying with the mass times 0.5 and i got it wrong. am i missing something here?

heres the second question What was the potential energy of the earth- spacecraft system?
is it asking me to find the gravitational potential energy or just the potential energy, using m*g*y=U?

Physics news on Phys.org
badman said:
i tried converting the traveling speed to meters per second, sqauring it, multiplying with the mass times 0.5 and i got it wrong. am i missing something here?
That method is correct. Recheck your arithmetic.

heres the second question What was the potential energy of the earth- spacecraft system?
is it asking me to find the gravitational potential energy or just the potential energy, using m*g*y=U?
You need to find the gravitational potential energy, but you can't just use mgh. That equation is only good near the Earth's surface. Find another equation for the potential energy between two masses. (Hint: The PE will depend on the distance between the spacecraft and the center of the Earth.)

yeah i figured the equation for the gravitational energy.

this is my calculation 1/2 times 629 kg times 1.20E4( in m/s its 2.0E5m/s)^2

Redo your conversion from km/hour to m/s:
[tex]\frac{km}{hr} = \frac{1000m}{3600s} [/tex]

aww craters, the simplets thing you learn, you also forget.

FAQ: What Is the Kinetic Energy of the Mars Climate Orbiter Relative to Earth?

1. What is kinetic energy of a spacecraft?

Kinetic energy of a spacecraft is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that a spacecraft has as a result of its speed and mass.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a spacecraft calculated?

The kinetic energy of a spacecraft can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the spacecraft and v is its velocity.

3. How does the kinetic energy of a spacecraft affect its trajectory?

The kinetic energy of a spacecraft plays a crucial role in determining its trajectory. The higher the kinetic energy, the faster the spacecraft will move and the further it will travel before being affected by external forces such as gravity or air resistance.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a spacecraft be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a spacecraft can be changed by altering its velocity or mass. For example, using propulsion systems to increase the spacecraft's speed will increase its kinetic energy.

5. What are some ways to control the kinetic energy of a spacecraft?

There are several ways to control the kinetic energy of a spacecraft, such as using thrusters to adjust its speed, using gravity assists from other celestial bodies, or using aerobraking techniques to slow down the spacecraft's velocity.

Back