What is the Kp of H2 and CO in a Partial Pressure Problem?

In summary, when steam is heated with excess carbon in a closed container to 1800kpa, the partial pressure of steam at equilibrium is 318kpa. Using this information, the Kp values for H2 and CO can be calculated using the equation H2O(g) + C(s) -> H2(g) + CO(g). By subtracting the partial pressure of steam from the total pressure, the partial pressure of the other component can be determined. This value can then be used to calculate the Kp values for H2 and CO.
lionely

Homework Statement

when steam was heated with excess carbon in a closed container to 1800kpa, the partial pressure of steam at equilibrium of steam was 318kpa, find Kp H2
,Kp CO and find Kp

Homework Equations

H2O(g) + C(s) -> H2(g) + CO(g)
<-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so confused because I only have 1 value,

I tried to find the initial moles of H2 but I can't.

Help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the partial pressure of one component, then the partial pressure of the other component must be the total pressure - partial pressure of the first component.

They I would just divide it equally among them?

No. Read my post again.

So the Kp of H2 and CO would be

1800-318= 1482?

Related to What is the Kp of H2 and CO in a Partial Pressure Problem?

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is calculated by multiplying the total pressure by the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture.

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure can be calculated using the formula P = nRT/V, where P is the partial pressure, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume of the container.

3. What is the relationship between partial pressure and total pressure?

The sum of all partial pressures in a gas mixture is equal to the total pressure. This is known as Dalton's law of partial pressures.

4. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the partial pressure of a gas, assuming the volume and number of moles remain constant.

5. How does changing the volume of a container affect partial pressure?

If the number of moles and temperature remain constant, decreasing the volume of a container will increase the partial pressure of a gas. This is because the molecules are more confined and collide more frequently with the container walls, resulting in a higher pressure.