What is the larmor radius of an electron in the inner van allen belt?

In summary, the Larmor radius of an electron in the inner Van Allen belt can be calculated using the equation r=(mv)/(qB), where m is the mass of the particle, v is the component of its velocity perpendicular to the B field, q is the charge of the particle, and B is the B field magnitude at that point. For this problem, the electron's kinetic energy must be at least 30 MeV and the Van Allen belt radius is approximately 1.1 - 2.0 Earth radii. By solving for the B field strength and using the electron's velocity, the maximum Larmor radius is found to be approximately 440 meters. While this answer may seem unspecific, it is the expected solution
wyosteve

Homework Statement

What is the larmor radius of an electron in the inner van allen belt?
This is for a General Astr class so I feel like I must be over complicating it.

Electron Kinetic Energy in the inner VA belt: K≥30 [MeV] (much greater then its rest energy)
VA Belt Radius: r~1.1-2.0 Earth Radii

Homework Equations

Larmor Radius: r=(mv)/(qB)
where m is the mass of the particle, v is the component of its velocity perpendicular to the B field, q is the charge of the particle, and B is the B field magnitude at that point.

Earth's B field strength as a function of r: B(r)=(B0*R^3)/r^3
where B_o is the Earths B field strength at its surface, R is the radius of the earth, and r is the distance

Kinetic energy in relativistic terms: K=gm0c2-m0c2
where g is gamma, m is the particles rest mass and c is the speed of light

g=1/[itex]\sqrt{1-(v^2/c^2)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I attempted to solve for B field strength in the inner VA belt

B(1.1R) = (3.1*10^-5)/(1.1^3) = 2.33*10^-5[T]
B(2.0R) = (3.1*10^-5)/(2.0^3) = 3.875*10^-6[T]
So the field strength is between 2.33*10^-5 and 3.875*10^-6 [T]

Next I used the electrons kinetic energy so solve for its velocity

v = [itex]\sqrt{[1-(.511/30.511)^2]c^2}[/itex]
≈2.9996*10^8 [m/s]

now I found the max larmor radius by first assuming that all the electrons velocity is perpendicular (I have no idea how to determine how much of v is in fact perpendicular)
and using the weakest strength of B
r=(9.109*10^-31*2.9996*10^8)/(1.602*10^-19*3.875*10^-6)
≈440[m]
so the larmor radius must be ≤440[m] is my final conclusion

some obvious problems:
1:this doesn't really narrow down my answer very much
2:this course dosent assume any knowlage of relativity (so I must be overcomplicating it)

any input would be appriciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, that is the answer they were looking for.

Related to What is the larmor radius of an electron in the inner van allen belt?

1. What is the Larmor radius of an electron?

The Larmor radius of an electron is the radius of the circular orbit that the electron will follow when moving in a uniform magnetic field at a constant speed.

2. How is the Larmor radius of an electron calculated?

The Larmor radius is calculated using the equation r = mv/qB, where r is the Larmor radius, m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Larmor radius in the inner Van Allen belt?

The inner Van Allen belt is a region of intense radiation surrounding the Earth, and the Larmor radius of an electron plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and motion of electrons within this region.

4. How does the Larmor radius of an electron change in different magnetic fields?

The Larmor radius is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the Larmor radius will also increase, and vice versa.

5. Can the Larmor radius of an electron be used to predict the behavior of other charged particles?

Yes, the Larmor radius can be used to predict the behavior of any charged particle in a magnetic field, as long as its mass, velocity, charge, and the strength of the magnetic field are known.