What is the launch speed and work done by the bow?

• Thread starter biochemnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: It's not mentioned in the problem.In summary, an arrow with a mass of 95g was shot from a bow at ground level with a launch speed of 25m/s. The bow did approximately 29.69 J of work on the arrow. The launch speed cannot be zero and the assumption of 25m/s is important in considering conservation of energy. The time taken for the arrow to reach a height of 25m is not mentioned in the problem.
biochemnerd

Homework Statement

1. A 95 g arrow is shot by a bow from ground height such that it is moving at 25m/s at a height of 25m. Ignore air resistance.
a) What was the launch speed?
b) How much work did the bow do on the arrow?

m=95g (.095 kg)
V2= 25m/s
d=25m
t=1 s

Homework Equations

Ek= ½ mv(squared)

W= deltaE= Fapp(d)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The launch speed was either 0m/s OR 25 m/s.

b) Ek= ½ mv(squared)
= ½ (0.095)(25)2
=1.1875

W= deltaE= Fapp(d)
= 1.1875(25)
= 29.69 J

* i can't figure out whether the 25m/s is the v2. or is it irrelevant and i should assume v1=0m/s. this is gr. 11 stuff, any suggestions?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
can i automatically assume that:
deltaE =Ek (d)

and that deltaE=Fapp(d)

or is it not possible for change in energy=Kinetic energy

i'm not sure on the equations. help!

Last edited:
I guess you can say the arrow is initially at rest until the bow acts on it, giving the arrow its launch speed. The 25 m/s is important. Think conservation of energy. If the bow has a certain kinetic and potential energy at the 25 m above the ground, what must the initial kinetic energy be for energy to be conserved? (ground level is considered zero potential energy)

a) The launch speed was either 0m/s OR 25 m/s.
Why do you think this? The launch speed can't be zero!

t=1 s
Where did you get this?

FAQ: What is the launch speed and work done by the bow?

1. What is Work+ Nrg gr.11?

Work+ Nrg gr.11 is a concept in physics that refers to the work done on an object by the combined action of a force and the resulting change in kinetic energy of the object.

2. How is Work+ Nrg gr.11 calculated?

The formula for calculating Work+ Nrg gr.11 is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

3. What are some common problems involving Work+ Nrg gr.11?

Some common problems involving Work+ Nrg gr.11 include calculating the work done by a force on an object, determining the amount of kinetic energy gained or lost by an object due to a force, and finding the net work done on an object by multiple forces.

4. How is Work+ Nrg gr.11 related to other concepts in physics?

Work+ Nrg gr.11 is closely related to other concepts in physics such as force, energy, and work. It is also connected to the laws of motion, specifically the second law of motion which states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy.

5. How can Work+ Nrg gr.11 be applied in real-world situations?

Work+ Nrg gr.11 has many practical applications, such as in calculating the work done by a machine or vehicle, determining the amount of energy needed for a certain task, and understanding the efficiency of different systems. It is also used in industries such as engineering, construction, and transportation.

Back