What is the Laurent series for \frac{1}{e^z - 1} in the given domain?

In summary, the task is to find the first few terms of the Laurent series for \frac{1}{e^z-1} in the domain 0 < |z| < 2\pi. The student has attempted using a Maclaurin series for e^z, but has not made much progress. They suggest using termwise differentiation and multiplication by 1/z to find the Laurent series. They also ask for the Laurent series of \frac{1}{z-1} and provide the regular Maclaurin series for |z|<1 and \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^{k+1}} for |z|>1. They propose
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Obtain the first few terms of the Laurent series for the following function in the specified domain:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/itex] for [itex]0 < |z| < 2\pi.[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted a few approaches, but haven't really gotten anywhere. For instance, using a Maclaurin series for [itex]e^z[/itex] yields [itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1} = \frac{1}{z} \cdot \frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots}[/itex]

Of course, [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi - (-z + 2\pi)} =\frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{-z+2\pi}{2\pi}}[/itex], and since the latter can be written as a geometric series in the given annulus, we have [itex]\frac{1}{z} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} (-1)^k (\frac{z-2\pi}{2\pi})^k.[/itex]

Actually, after further contemplation, I think I could set [itex]g(z) = \frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots}[/itex] and differentiate that a few (infinitely many) times to find its Maclaurin series. I think termwise differentiation should be allowed in the annulus in question, since g should be analytic there. Then multiplication by 1/z yields the Laurent series?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Laurent series of [itex]\frac{1}{z-1}[/itex]??

micromass said:
Do you know the Laurent series of [itex]\frac{1}{z-1}[/itex]??

Regular Maclaurin (Taylor at z=0) series for [itex]|z|<1[/itex], i.e. [itex]-1-z-z^2-z^3-\cdots[/itex], and [itex]\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^{k+1}}[/itex] for [itex]|z|>1[/itex]?

So, [itex]\frac{1}{e^z - 1} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{z(k+1)}}[/itex]?

FAQ: What is the Laurent series for \frac{1}{e^z - 1} in the given domain?

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as a power series. It is used to expand a function around a singular point, such as a pole, and can be used to approximate the function in a neighborhood of that point.

2. What is the significance of the Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1)?

The Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1) is significant because it is used to represent the Riemann zeta function, which is an important function in number theory and has connections to prime numbers and the distribution of primes.

3. How is the Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1) derived?

The Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1) can be derived by using the geometric series expansion and then manipulating the series using algebraic techniques. It can also be derived by using the Cauchy integral formula and the residue theorem.

4. What is the convergence of the Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1)?

The Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1) converges for all values of z except for z = 0, where it has a singularity. The series converges absolutely for |z| < 1 and conditionally for |z| < 2π.

5. What are the applications of the Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1)?

The Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1) has applications in number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It is used to study the behavior of the Riemann zeta function and has connections to prime numbers and the distribution of primes. It is also used in the study of phase transitions in statistical mechanics and in the Casimir effect in quantum field theory.