What Is the Left Turning Point of a Particle in a Conservative Force Field?

In summary, the position of the left turning point for the particle is the point where it regains all of its original potential energy and momentarily stops before reversing its motion. This can be found by using conservation of energy and observing the graph to determine the location where the potential energy is equal to the initial value.
physixnot4me
2. at t=0 the particle is at rest x=12. after is release it can move under influence of conservative force whose potential energy is shown in the diagram. what is the position of the left turning point for this particle?

ans: At the moment, I am not sure how to convert his graph to visualize the position of the particle, in order to find the left turning point. All i see is at x=12, the U is 4J. what can i do with this?

attached is the diagram.

Attachments

• physics2.JPG
    physics2.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
physixnot4me said:
2. at t=0 the particle is at rest x=12. after is release it can move under influence of conservative force whose potential energy is shown in the diagram. what is the position of the left turning point for this particle?
ans: At the moment, I am not sure how to convert his graph to visualize the position of the particle, in order to find the left turning point. All i see is at x=12, the U is 4J. what can i do with this?
attached is the diagram.

Use conservation of energy. At x=12, it has all of its energy in the form of PE, and no KE. Upon release, as it is moving through the different positions, it will have a combination of PE and KE (think of a rollercoaster). As long as PE (U in that diagram) is less than the original value, there will be KE and the particle will continue to move. There is only one location in that graph where the particle will regain all of the original PE. At this point, it will no longer have any KE and it will momentarily stop, before reversing its motion. That's the turning point.

I don't think I need to tell you where this point is, do I?

Zz.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the diagram and information regarding the potential energy of the conservative force acting on the particle. From the given information, we can use the concept of conservation of energy to determine the position of the left turning point for the particle.

At t=0, the particle is at rest and has a potential energy of 4J at x=12. As the particle moves under the influence of the conservative force, its kinetic energy will increase and its potential energy will decrease. However, the total energy (kinetic + potential) of the particle will remain constant.

Using this concept, we can set up an equation to find the position of the left turning point:

Initial energy (at t=0) = Final energy (at left turning point)

4J = kinetic energy + potential energy at left turning point

Since the particle is at rest at t=0, its kinetic energy is zero. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

4J = 0 + potential energy at left turning point

Solving for the potential energy at the left turning point, we get:

Potential energy at left turning point = 4J

Since we know that the potential energy at x=12 is also 4J, this means that the left turning point is at x=12. This is the point where the particle stops and changes direction, as the potential energy is at its minimum at this point.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

FAQ: What Is the Left Turning Point of a Particle in a Conservative Force Field?

1. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a force that can be described by a potential energy function. This means that the work done by the force on an object moving from one point to another is independent of the path taken and only depends on the initial and final positions.

2. How is a conservative force different from a non-conservative force?

A non-conservative force is a force that does not have a potential energy function associated with it. This means that the work done by the force on an object depends on the path taken, and not just the initial and final positions.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Examples of conservative forces include gravitational force, elastic force, and electrostatic force.

4. How does the concept of energy conservation relate to conservative forces?

The concept of energy conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of conservative forces, the potential energy of an object is converted into kinetic energy as it moves, and the total energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant.

5. Can a non-conservative force be converted into a conservative force?

Yes, a non-conservative force can be converted into a conservative force by finding a suitable potential energy function. However, this is not always possible and depends on the nature of the force.

Back