What is the Lifetime of a Proton in a Solar Mass Star's Core?

In summary, the energy generation rate in the center of a solar mass star is 5.12*10-5*(ρC)*(XH)2*(T6)4 ergs/sec. This rate is significantly higher than the number of fusions that would occur per second (1.14*10^13). The lifetime of a proton against fusion to 4He in the center of a Zero-Age-Main-Sequence solar mass star is 1.46*1011 years.
nctweg

Homework Statement

Estimate the lifetime of a proton against fusion to 4He in the center of a Zero-Age-Main-Sequence solar mass star. First calculate the energy generation, εpp in the center of the star from the p-p chain. Then convert this to the number of fusions (conversion of 4 protons to 1 4He) per unit volume per second. Finally compare this rate to the central number density of protons to estimate the lifetime.

Constants: (C = stellar core values)

TC = 13*106 K
ρC = 78 g/cm3
XH (Mass fraction Hydrogen) = 0.7

Homework Equations

εpp ~ 1.07*10-6*(ρC)*(XH)2*(T6)4

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an exam problem - I know how to find the energy generation rate as well as the number density of protons. Neither are difficult. I do not, however, have any idea how to convert the energy generated into the number of fusions per volume per second.

If anyone has a first step, that's really all I'm looking for but I genuinely have no idea how to even begin. I was thinking it might involve going through the PP-I -> PP-IV branches individually but that seems far too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy generation rate (ergs/sec) is just the energy generated per fusion(ergs/fusion) times the number of fusion reactions per second (fusions/second). Do you know how much energy is generated per fusion?

Likes 1 person
Wooh, that was actually a huge help. I have arrived at an answer (though I do not know how correct it is). Here is the work (sorry, don't know Tex but I'll do my best to make it neat):

To find the energy per fusion of 4 protons to 1 He, I just used Einstein's E=mc2:

EHe ~ 3.72*109 ev

E4 Protons ~ 3.752*109 ev

ΔE = 32 MeV = 5.12*10-5 Erg = energy released per fusion (4 Protons -> 1 He)

Then I found the number density using n = XH*ρ/mp

n = 3.26*1025 protons or so

Then finally, I divided number of protons by number of fusions/second, but I am thinking that I need to multiply number of fusions/second by 4 to get the number of protons/second at which point I arrived at an answer of approximately 1.14*10^13 years.

This answer is quite high but we were asked on the exam if our estimate was reasonable and I know it shouldn't be all that close just taking the PP chain into account. Not sure how good my methods were but I'm at least thrilled to be able to arrive at an answer.

That sounds high. Is your εpp in ergs/sec for the whole star, ergs/sec/g, or ergs/sec/cm^3?

Now that you mention it, I'm actually not entirely positive. My notes are not explicitly clear but I believe that it's ergs/s/g.

Oooooohhhh, hold on. Let me do some stuff.

Ok, it was definitely in ergs/sec/g. I converted it over and got εpp = 90 ergs/sec/c3 or so. Ended up with 1.46*1011 years which seems better.

Related to What is the Lifetime of a Proton in a Solar Mass Star's Core?

1. What is the PP chain in astrophysics?

The PP chain, or proton-proton chain, is a nuclear reaction that occurs in stars to convert hydrogen into helium. It is the primary energy source for stars like our sun.

2. How does the PP chain work?

The PP chain involves a series of steps where four hydrogen nuclei (protons) fuse together to form one helium nucleus. This process releases energy in the form of gamma rays, which is what sustains the star's heat and light.

3. What elements are involved in the PP chain?

The PP chain involves the fusion of hydrogen (H) nuclei to form helium (He) nuclei. It requires four protons to fuse and produce one helium nucleus.

4. Can the PP chain occur in all stars?

Yes, the PP chain can occur in all stars that have enough hydrogen to sustain the nuclear reactions. However, the rate and efficiency of the PP chain may vary depending on the star's mass, temperature, and composition.

5. How does the PP chain affect a star's lifespan?

The PP chain is the primary source of a star's energy, so it plays a crucial role in determining its lifespan. The rate of energy production through the PP chain helps determine how long the star can sustain itself before running out of hydrogen fuel and potentially undergoing other nuclear reactions.