What is the Limit of a Function with Finite Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving the limit of a function and an integral. The participants discuss the conditions for exchanging the limit and integral, and conclude that it can be done if the limit is computed in a space of functions and the function has a finite integral. They also mention the concept of pointwise convergence and mention that the limit in question does not converge uniformly. They also briefly mention the possibility of computing the limit in a space of distributions.
Lajka
Hi,

I was thinking of this problem for a couple of hours, but wasn't sure how to formulate it, hence I wasn't able to google it.

It's pretty simple to explain, though. Observe any function with a finite integral over the R line
[itex]\int f(t)dt=A=const.[/itex]

And now look at the function
[itex]G(\tau) = \int f(t - \tau)dt.[/itex]

Now, for any finite [itex]\tau[/itex], [itex]G(\tau)=A[/itex], obviously.
However, I asked myself what is the answer for [itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}G(\tau)[/itex]?

I'm not sure if I have or don't have the right to exchange the limit and the integral
[itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}\int f(t - \tau)dt =\int \lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t - \tau)dt[/itex]

mainly because I have no idea how to interpret this
[itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t - \tau)[/itex]

So, what say you? I'm clueless.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Lajka said:
mainly because I have no idea how to interpret this
[itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t - \tau)[/itex]
Er, what's wrong with this? f denotes an ordinary function, right? (or are you doing something weird with, e.g., distributions?) So for each value of t you're taking the limit of a single-valued function of one variable. (and so the result is a function of t)

(And no, in general yo do not have the right to do the swap. It's easy to come up with examples that disprove it)

But anyways, you're making the problem way too hard:
[itex]G(\tau)=A[/itex]
[itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}G(\tau)[/itex]

Hm, you got to point there. I guess I just have a problem visualising it:

Qeq13.png

It never stops moving to the right, right? So I wasn't able to visualise this function of t, which is to be integrated. Still can't.

So, if I understood correctly, [itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}G(\tau)=A[/itex]?

Lajka said:
Hm, you got to point there. I guess I just have a problem visualising it:
Try visualizing it for a single t, rather than all t at once.

So, if I understood correctly, [itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}G(\tau)=A[/itex]?
Right.

Hm, okay.

The only thing that is still uncomfortable for me is that I can't seem have an analytic form of the function which I integrate, e.g. if I tell you the analytic form of the function [itex]f(t)[/itex] is [itex]f(t)=e^{-t^2}[/itex], could you tell me the analytic form of the function [itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t-\tau)[/itex], as a function of [itex]t[/itex]?

Also, while we're here, I haven't encountered interchange of limits and integrals like this before. It was usually the sequence of functions for me, and their interchange with the integral if the sequence converges uniformly etc.
What would be the conditions for the interchange in a case like this?
Thanks!

Lajka said:
I tell you the analytic form of the function [itex]f(t)[/itex] is [itex]f(t)=e^{-t^2}[/itex], could you tell me the analytic form of the function [itex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t-\tau)[/itex], as a function of [itex]t[/itex]?
[tex]\lim_{\tau \to +\infty}f(t-\tau) = 0[/tex]
(In fact, the limit is zero no matter what f is, so long as [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f[/itex] is finite and this limit exists)
A buzzword is "pointwise convergence".

Also, while we're here, I haven't encountered interchange of limits and integrals like this before. It was usually the sequence of functions for me, and their interchange with the integral if the sequence converges uniformly etc.
What would be the conditions for the interchange in a case like this?
I honestly don't remember; I would have to consult a reference book. I find it plausible that uniform convergence of the limit would still suffice. (Notice the above limit does not converge uniformly in t)

Edit: I suppose I should comment that one can define other limits; e.g. a limit computed in some space of functions. But without any other comment, a limit with a free variable should be assumed to be computed pointwise.

Edit2: Unless you're reading physics, when it's just as plausible they meant the limit to be computed in some space of distributions.

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the Limit of a Function with Finite Integral?

What is the definition of a limit of a function with finite integral?

The limit of a function with finite integral is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific point.

How is the limit of a function with finite integral calculated?

The limit of a function with finite integral is calculated by evaluating the function at values increasingly close to the desired input value. This process is known as taking the limit and can be done algebraically or graphically.

What is the significance of a finite integral in determining the limit of a function?

A finite integral is significant because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and does not have any discontinuities or infinite values. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the limit of the function.

Can a function have a finite integral but an infinite limit?

Yes, a function can have a finite integral but an infinite limit. This can occur when the function has a vertical asymptote or a jump discontinuity at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of a limit of a function with finite integral?

The concept of a limit of a function with finite integral is used in many areas of science and engineering. For example, it is used in physics to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, and in economics to determine the rate of change of a variable over time. It is also used in computer science to optimize algorithms and in biology to model population growth.