What is the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0?

• Thread starter grace77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 and solving it using the double angle identity. The correct solution is found to be lim 2sin(x)cos(x)/x, with cos(x) approaching 1 and sin(x)/x approaching 0. It is also noted that the rules of multiplication must be followed when rearranging the equation. The conversation ends with the problem being solved and a request for help with another question.
grace77
The problem statement
What is the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0?Revelant equations
lim sin(x)/x = 1 x-->0

Attempt at a solution
so sin2x/x = 2sin(2x)/2x since sin(2x)/2x = 1 2sin(2x)/2x = 2*1

I know how to solve it this way however my teacher said you can solve it using double angle identity.

Sin2x= 2sinxcosx

That would be equal to lim2sinx/x * cosx/x

2sinx/x=2 but what would cos x/x when x approaches zero.. isn't that undefined? How do you figure that out then?

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, welcome to physicsforums!

to begin with, you had sin(2x)/x and you used sin(2x) = 2 sin(x)cos(x) right? So, using this substitution, what does your equation become? (I think you just made an unlucky error in doing the substitution, so if you think it through again, you should get the right answer).

BruceW said:
hey, welcome to physicsforums!

to begin with, you had sin(2x)/x and you used sin(2x) = 2 sin(x)cos(x) right? So, using this substitution, what does your equation become? (I think you just made an unlucky error in doing the substitution, so if you think it through again, you should get the right answer).

That would give me lim2sinxcosx/x

Sorry I don't understand what I am doing wrong??

you've got it correct now :) (there's only one x in the denominator). From here, what does cos(x) tend to, and what does sin(x)/x tend to?

edit: when I say 'tend to' I mean, what does it approach, in the limit

Limits

BruceW said:
you've got it correct now :) (there's only one x in the denominator). From here, what does cos(x) tend to, and what does sin(x)/x tend to?

edit: when I say 'tend to' I mean, what does it approach, in the limit
I understand that cos 0 is equal to 1 however isn't the cosx over x too ?? Since sin2x/x then by substitution , wouldn't the cos x be over x too?

well, as you said in post 3, you have lim 2sin(x)cos(x)/x And you can use the normal rules of multiplication here, i.e. it is of the form (ab)/c so you can rearrange as b(a/c) or a(b/c) but not (a/c)(b/c)

BruceW said:
well, as you said in post 3, you have lim 2sin(x)cos(x)/x And you can use the normal rules of multiplication here, i.e. it is of the form (ab)/c so you can rearrange as b(a/c) or a(b/c) but not (a/c)(b/c)
Oh I understand it now it would only be over x if it was an addition question.

yeah, that's right

BruceW said:
yeah, that's right
Thank you!

no worries!

BruceW said:
no worries!
Can you see if you can answer my other question?

grace77 said:
Can you see if you can answer my other question?
Why not restate that "other question" ?

SammyS said:
Why not restate that "other question" ?
The problem is already solved. Thank you

Related to What is the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0?

1. What does the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 represent?

The limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function sin2x at x=0. It is also known as the derivative of sin2x at x=0.

2. How do you calculate the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0?

To calculate the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0, we can use L'Hopital's rule or the trigonometric limit theorem. L'Hopital's rule states that if the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞, then the limit is equal to the limit of the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) as x approaches a. In this case, we can take the derivative of sin2x, which is 2cos2x, and the derivative of x, which is 1, and evaluate the limit at x=0.

3. What is the value of the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0?

The value of the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 2. This can be calculated by plugging in x=0 into the derivative of sin2x, which is 2cos2x, and evaluating the limit.

4. Why is the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 important?

The limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 is important because it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function sin2x at x=0. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of the function and can be applied in various mathematical and scientific fields.

5. What is the relationship between the limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 and the derivative of sin2x?

The limit of sin2x/x as x approaches 0 is equal to the derivative of sin2x evaluated at x=0. This means that the limit and the derivative are essentially the same thing and can be used interchangeably in certain situations. The limit of a function and its derivative are closely related and provide important information about the behavior of the function.