What Is the Limit of t Plus a Complex Fraction as t Approaches Infinity?

In summary, the limit of t + (1 - sqrt(1+a^2t^2))/a as t approaches infinity is equal to the upper bound obtained by subtracting the smaller number from the bigger number, which does not involve t. However, if a is negative, the limit grows to infinity as t increases. To calculate the limit, we can use the fact that sqrt(1+a^2t^2) is approximately equal to at for large values of t, and then use the result that sqrt(1+x) is equal to 1 + (1/2)x + r(x) where r(x)/x approaches 0 as x approaches 0.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

Finding the value of the limit:
$$\lim_{t\to +\infty} t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a}$$
##a## is just a costant

The Attempt at a Solution

At first sight I had thought that the limit was ##\infty## but then I realized that there is an indeterminate form ##\infty - \infty##. I tried to rationalize the second part of the sum in the limit and I found ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## which gave ##\infty## and so I found again ##\infty - \infty##. I don't really know how to get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few approaches. I like to do qualitative stuff first -- i.e. first demonstrate that this converges (specifically that it has an upper bound in this case).

You understand that
##\sqrt{1+a^2 t^2} \geq \sqrt{a^2 t^2} = at##

right? So if instead of subtracting the bigger number we subtract the smaller one, we get a larger result, giving us

##t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} \leq t+\frac{1-\sqrt{a^2t^2}}{a} = ?##
simplify that and you should get a nice upper bound that does not involve ##t##. The challenge is then to do the quantitative part and show that you actually reach this upper bound.
- - -
edit: I should have pointed out I was assuming ##a \gt 0##.

If ##a## is negative we have a problem. I.e. in the event of ##a \lt 0##

##t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} = \frac{1}{a}+t-\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} = \frac{-1}{\big \vert a\big \vert}+t +\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{\big \vert a\big \vert}##

which grows to infinity as t grows large.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Aleolomorfo said:

Homework Statement

##a## is just a costant

At first sight I had thought that the limit was ##\infty## but then I realized that there is an indeterminate form ##\infty - \infty##. I tried to rationalize the second part of the sum in the limit and I found ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## which gave ##\infty## and so I found again ##\infty - \infty##. I don't really know how to get the answer.

Assume that ##a >0## (the argument with ##a < 0## is similar) and note that we are interested in positive values of ##t##.

Use the fact that
$$\sqrt{1+a^2 t^2} = \sqrt{a^2 t^2} \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{1}{a^2 t^2} } = a t \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{1}{a^2 t^2} }$$
Since ##1/(a^2 t^2) \ll 1##, the last square-root is almost 1. However, we need more: we need to know how the last square-root differs from 1 for large, but finite values of ##t > 0##. Are you familiar with the result that ##\sqrt{1+x} = 1 + (1/2) x + r(x)##, where ##|r(x)/x| \to 0 ## as ##x \to 0##? Apply that, with ##x = 1/(at)^2##.

Aleolomorfo said:

Homework Statement

##a## is just a costant

Assuming you are not doing Real Analysis and you just want to calculate the limit, rather than prove it rigorously. (I guess it came from your SR acceleration problem.). Then you could just do the following:

For large ##t##, ##\sqrt{1+a^2t^2} \approx at##.

First of all, thank you very much for your help, all of you.

StoneTemplePython said:
There are a few approaches. I like to do qualitative stuff first -- i.e. first demonstrate that this converges (specifically that it has an upper bound in this case).

You understand that
√1+a2t2≥√a2t2=at1+a2t2≥a2t2=at\sqrt{1+a^2 t^2} \geq \sqrt{a^2 t^2} = at

right? So if instead of subtracting the bigger number we subtract the smaller one, we get a larger result, giving us

t+1−√1+a2t2a≤t+1−√a2t2a=?t+1−1+a2t2a≤t+1−a2t2a=?t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} \leq t+\frac{1-\sqrt{a^2t^2}}{a} = ?
simplify that and you should get a nice upper bound that does not involve ttt. The challenge is then to do the quantitative part and show that you actually reach this upper bound.
- - -
edit: I should have pointed out I was assuming a>0a>0a \gt 0.

If aaa is negative we have a problem. I.e. in the event of a<0a<0a \lt 0

t+1−√1+a2t2a=1a+t−√1+a2t2a=−1∣∣a∣∣+t+√1+a2t2∣∣a∣∣t+1−1+a2t2a=1a+t−1+a2t2a=−1|a|+t+1+a2t2|a|t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} = \frac{1}{a}+t-\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a} = \frac{-1}{\big \vert a\big \vert}+t +\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{\big \vert a\big \vert}

which grows to infinity as t grows large.

It is a bit too mathematical way to approach the problem from my physical perspective, but it is very interesting. Mathematicians always fascinate me.

Ray Vickson said:
Assume that a>0a>0a >0 (the argument with a<0a<0a < 0 is similar) and note that we are interested in positive values of ttt.

Use the fact that
√1+a2t2=√a2t2√1+1a2t2=at√1+1a2t21+a2t2=a2t21+1a2t2=at1+1a2t2​
\sqrt{1+a^2 t^2} = \sqrt{a^2 t^2} \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{1}{a^2 t^2} } = a t \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{1}{a^2 t^2} }
Since 1/(a2t2)≪11/(a2t2)≪11/(a^2 t^2) \ll 1, the last square-root is almost 1. However, we need more: we need to know how the last square-root differs from 1 for large, but finite values of t>0t>0t > 0. Are you familiar with the result that √1+x=1+(1/2)x+r(x)1+x=1+(1/2)x+r(x)\sqrt{1+x} = 1 + (1/2) x + r(x), where |r(x)/x|→0|r(x)/x|→0|r(x)/x| \to 0 as x→0x→0x \to 0? Apply that, with x=1/(at)2x=1/(at)2x = 1/(at)^2.

Your advice is very helpful, sometimes I forget the simpliest method to do mathematical exercises. The result I have found is ##1/a## and I think it is correct, but I wait your response.

PeroK said:
Assuming you are not doing Real Analysis and you just want to calculate the limit, rather than prove it rigorously. (I guess it came from your SR acceleration problem.). Then you could just do the following:

For large ttt, √1+a2t2≈at1+a2t2≈at\sqrt{1+a^2t^2} \approx at.

This was my first approach but it was not very successfull.

Aleolomorfo said:
First of all, thank you very much for your help, all of you.

Your advice is very helpful, sometimes I forget the simplest method to do mathematical exercises. The result I have found is ##1/a## and I think it is correct, but I wait your response.
1/a is also what I get.

Added in Edit:
As @StoneTemplePython mentioned in Post #2, you need a > 0 for this limit to be finite.

Last edited:
I agree with your answer, if you take the positive square root. If you take the negative square root then the t's don't cancel and that is a problem.

Gene Naden said:
I agree with your answer, if you take the positive square root. If you take the negative square root then the t's don't cancel and that is a problem.
By definition, the function √ returns the positive square root.

Likes SammyS
haruspex said:
By definition, the function √ returns the positive square root.
A discussion we've had many times over the years here at this site.

I stand corrected

Likes PeroK
Gene Naden said:
In general, for large ##t > 0## we have ##\sqrt{1 + a^2 t^2} \sim |a| t.##

Related to What Is the Limit of t Plus a Complex Fraction as t Approaches Infinity?

1. What is the concept of finding the limit at infinity?

The limit at infinity is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches infinity. It helps to understand the long-term behavior of a function and can be used to determine if a function has a horizontal asymptote.

2. How do you find the limit at infinity?

To find the limit at infinity, you can evaluate the function at larger and larger values of the input variable. If the function approaches a specific value as the input variable approaches infinity, that value is the limit at infinity. Alternatively, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or using L'Hopital's rule.

3. What is the difference between a finite limit and a limit at infinity?

A finite limit refers to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches a specific value, whereas a limit at infinity refers to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches infinity. A finite limit can be determined by direct substitution, while a limit at infinity requires evaluating the function at larger and larger values.

4. Can the limit at infinity be a negative or complex number?

Yes, the limit at infinity can be a negative or complex number. It depends on the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches infinity. The limit at infinity does not have to be a positive real number.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the limit at infinity?

Finding the limit at infinity is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, it can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of a moving object. In economics, it can be used to analyze long-term trends in data. Additionally, it is used in calculus to evaluate improper integrals and series.