What Is the Limit of the Sequence Defined by the Sum of Binomial Coefficients?

HJpY3QgSW4gc3VtbWFyeSwgYmVoYXZpb3Igb3VyIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uLCBhbmQgbm90aGluZyBvZiB0aGUgZm9ybWF0aW9uLiB0aGluZyBpbnRvIHN0YXRlZCBhdCB5ZWFyOiBJcyBmb3IgdGhlIGNhbmN1eSByb290IHRlc3RzIHlvdSB3b3VsZCB0aGUgY2hhbmNlbHkgc
aaaa202

Homework Statement

I want to find the limit of ƩK(n+m,n)zn
K(a,b) being the binomial coefficient.

Homework Equations

Cauchy root test?

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying the cauchy root test I get:

1/R = limn->∞[(K(n+m,n))½]

But what do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "Cauchy root test" tells you whether or not a series converges. It says nothing about what it converges to. If I read this correctly, you have
[tex]\sum \begin{pmatrix}n+m \\ n\end{pmatrix}z^n[/tex]

The sum is over n with m fixed? And it is a finite sum? n goes from 0 to what?

well maybe I named it wrong, but I meant the formula stated above, which gives an explicit expression for the radius of convergence, R.
And the sum is from zero to infinity. Sorry for the lack of information :)

aaaa202 said:
well maybe I named it wrong, but I meant the formula stated above, which gives an explicit expression for the radius of convergence, R.
And the sum is from zero to infinity. Sorry for the lack of information :)

If you set z = -t, the coefficient of t^n is the "negative binomial" coefficient:
[tex] (-1)^n {n+m \choose n} = {-m \choose n}.[/tex] That should allow you to evaluate the sum explicitly.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Limit of the Sequence Defined by the Sum of Binomial Coefficients?

1. What is a limit of sequence?

A limit of sequence is a value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the index of the sequence increases. It represents the ultimate behavior of the sequence and can be used to determine if the sequence is convergent or divergent.

2. How do you find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you need to examine the pattern of the sequence and determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the ratio test to find the limit. If it diverges, you can analyze the behavior of the sequence to determine if it approaches a finite value or infinity.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one that approaches a finite limit as the index increases, meaning the sequence eventually stabilizes. A divergent sequence is one that does not approach a finite limit and can either increase or decrease without bound.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the limit of a sequence?

Some common techniques for finding the limit of a sequence include the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, and the root test. These techniques involve examining the behavior of the sequence and using mathematical principles to determine the limit.

5. Why is it important to find the limit of a sequence?

Finding the limit of a sequence is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of the sequence. It also allows us to determine if the sequence is convergent or divergent, which has practical applications in fields such as calculus, physics, and engineering.