What is the line integral of grad(f) around the unit circle in the xy plane?

In summary, the line integral of the gradient of a scalar field around a closed curve is path independent, meaning that it only depends on the initial and final points. In this case, the initial and final points are the same on the unit circle, resulting in a line integral of 0. Therefore, the suggested answer of \pi is incorrect.
Knissp
EDIT:
SORRY, I didn't read the directions. It says, "Answer the following short questions: If true, justify, if false give a counterex-
ample."

I'm certain that this question is one of the "false" ones, which is why I was so confused. LOL

Homework Statement

Let f(x, y, z) = y - x. Then the line integral of grad(f) around the unit circle in the xy plane is [tex]\pi[/tex], the area of the circle.

Homework Equations

A line integral of a vector field which is the gradient of a scalar field is path independent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had two ways of solving:

Method 1
Fundamental theorem of line integrals:
[tex] \oint_C \nabla f dr = 0 [/tex] around a closed curve C.
Path independence guarantees that the line integral of grad(f) depends only on the initial and final points, which are the same on the unit circle. Method 2
[tex]grad(f) = <-1, 1, 0> [/tex]

Parametrize the unit circle C by:
[tex]x(t) = cos(t) 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi [/tex]
[tex]y(t) = sin(t) 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi [/tex]
[tex]z=0 [/tex]
[tex]x'(t) = -sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]y'(t) = cos(t)[/tex]

[tex]\int_C grad(f) dr [/tex]
[tex]= \int <-1, 1, 0><dx, dy, dz> [/tex]
[tex]= \int -dx + \int dy [/tex]
[tex]= \int_0^{2\pi} -\frac{dx}{dt}dt +\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{dy}{dt}dt [/tex]
[tex]= \int_0^{2\pi} sin(t) dt + \int_0^{2\pi} cos(t) dt [/tex]

[tex]= 0 [/tex]Using either method, I get 0 as the answer. The question suggests that the answer should be [tex]\pi[/tex]. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. The line integral is zero.

Related to What is the line integral of grad(f) around the unit circle in the xy plane?

1. What is the definition of a line integral of grad(f)?

The line integral of grad(f) is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total change in a given scalar field f along a given path. It is represented by the symbol ∮∇f · dr and can be thought of as the sum of infinitesimal changes in f along the path.

2. How is the line integral of grad(f) calculated?

To calculate the line integral of grad(f), the path must first be parameterized as a function of one variable. Then, the dot product of the gradient of f and the derivative of the path with respect to the parameter can be integrated over the limits of the parameter. This results in a single value representing the total change in f along the path.

3. What is the physical significance of the line integral of grad(f)?

The line integral of grad(f) has physical significance in situations where a scalar field f represents a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure. In this case, the line integral represents the work done per unit distance along the path by the gradient of f. This can be useful in understanding the flow of heat or fluid through a given path.

4. How is the line integral of grad(f) related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The line integral of grad(f) is closely related to the fundamental theorem of calculus. In fact, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be thought of as a special case of the line integral of grad(f) where the path is a single point. In this case, the line integral reduces to the value of f at that point, which is just the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. What are some real-life applications of the line integral of grad(f)?

The line integral of grad(f) has many real-life applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work done in thermodynamics and fluid dynamics, as well as to determine electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism. It is also used in applications such as image processing and computer graphics to calculate changes in brightness or color along a given path.