What is the Lorentz Transformation Equation and its Use in Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and value of a constant, denoted as "k," in the Lorentz transformation equation for x in the theory of special relativity. The equation shows a transformation between two reference frames, one stationary and one moving at a high speed. The value of the constant can be derived from the Lorentz transformation equation and is commonly referred to as ##\gamma##.
ggolu2
I really don't understand what it is and what is the use of constant, like in this equation of transformation.
x=k(x' + vt).
The equation can also be good if it is just like this,
x=x' + vt

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are saying the $$F=\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}$$?

That is certainly not true.
Do you believe that ##F=x##?(Hookes law)
Yes this is valid for a elastic constant of 1 but not valid for any other constant.

No this is about theory of special relativity. It uses transformation law to derive the equations of Lorentz transformation. And my question is about the use of the constant, I mean how they thought that there must be a constant such that this equation holds good at high speeds.

ggolu2 said:
I really don't understand what it is and what is the use of constant, like in this equation of transformation.
x=k(x' + vt).
The equation can also be good if it is just like this,
x=x' + vt

Thank you.

Are you sure there is constant "k"?
Cause I read today Lorentz,and I saw nothing about that?
Also if there is,then what is the value of "k" ?

The Lorentz transformation for x is
$$x^\prime = \frac{x - vt}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}$$
You should be able to read off the value of k from that equation. (We usually call it ##\gamma##.)

Last edited:

Related to What is the Lorentz Transformation Equation and its Use in Relativity?

1. What is a transformation law?

A transformation law is a mathematical rule that describes how a quantity changes when the coordinate system used to measure it is changed. It allows us to relate the same physical quantity in different coordinate systems.

2. Why are transformation laws important in science?

Transformation laws are important in science because they allow us to apply mathematical methods to solve problems that involve different coordinate systems. They provide a way to unify different descriptions of the same physical system and make it easier to analyze and understand complex phenomena.

3. What are the different types of transformation laws?

There are different types of transformation laws depending on the type of coordinate system being used. Some examples include linear transformations, rotational transformations, and Lorentz transformations used in special relativity.

4. How are transformation laws used in physics?

In physics, transformation laws are used to describe how a physical quantity (such as position, velocity, or force) changes when we change the coordinate system used to measure it. They are essential in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. Can you give an example of a transformation law in action?

One example of a transformation law is the Lorentz transformation, which describes how measurements of time and space change between different inertial reference frames in special relativity. It allows us to understand the effects of relative motion on the measurement of physical quantities such as length and time intervals.