What is the magnetic flux through the desk?

In summary, the magnetic flux through a horizontal desk with an area of 900 cm^2 can be calculated using the equation \Phi = BAcos\vartheta, where B is the magnetic field intensity and \vartheta is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface of the desk. Given the values of B = 57569 x 10^-9 T and \vartheta = 15 degrees on Feb. 19, 2013, the magnetic flux through the desk is 0.0000050050 Tm^2. However, for accuracy, it should be written in scientific notation as 5.005 x 10^-6 Tm^2.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

The total magnetic field intensity at the location of Edmonton was 57652 nT on March 20, 2012, when I first wrote this question. Now, on Feb. 19, 2013, it is 57569 nT. The magnetic inclination is +75 degrees (i.e., it points downward at an angle of 75 degrees with respect to the horizontal). This site will tell you the current value of the Earth's magnetic field parameters at any location you choose.

Consider the desk you sit at in our class. Let us estimate that it has an area of about 900 cm^2 and is horizontal. Given the values of the magnetic field I listed for Feb. 19, 2013, what was the magnetic flux through the desk? Use SI units.

Note: Calculate and enter your answer with at least 5 significant digits. I had to make the accepted range of values in this answer quite small.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = BAcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used A = 0.09 m^2 and B = 57569 x 10^-9. For the angle, I used 90 deg - 75 deg = 15 deg.

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = (57569 x 10^-9 T)(0.09 m^2)cos(15)
= 0.0000050050 Tm^2

This was wrong in my online assignment. Not sure where I'm going wrong with this... Am I using the wrong angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
monnapomona said:
[itex]\Phi[/itex] = (57569 x 10^-9 T)(0.09 m^2)cos(15)
= 0.0000050050 Tm^2

This was wrong in my online assignment. Not sure where I'm going wrong with this... Am I using the wrong angle?

Everything looks good, except the answer you give is not quite accurate to 5 significant figures. Also, scientific notation will make it look nicer.:approve:

TSny said:
Everything looks good, except the answer you give is not quite accurate to 5 significant figures. Also, scientific notation will make it look nicer.:approve:

Oh I see now! Thank you for your help and clarification! :smile:

Related to What is the magnetic flux through the desk?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area.

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area perpendicular to the field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux is Weber (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI).

4. What is the importance of finding magnetic flux?

Finding magnetic flux is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on objects and materials.

5. What tools or methods are used to find magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux can be found using instruments such as magnetometers or by using mathematical calculations based on the properties of the magnetic field and the area in question.