What is the magnetic force on the particle

In summary, a particle with mass M and charge Q>0 is moving horizontally towards the north with a speed v in a region of space where the magnetic field has a constant magnitude B and a downward direction. Using the right-hand rule, we can determine that the magnetic force on the particle is in the direction of QvB towards the east. None of the other options provided (zero, QvB towards the west, QvB upward, QvB towards the south) are correct.
sugz

Homework Statement

A particle of mass M and charge Q>0 moves in a region of space where the magnetic field has a constant magnitude B and a downward direction. What is the magnetic force on the particle at an instant when it is moving horizontally toward the north with a speed v?

(a) QvB toward the east
(b) zero
(c) QvB toward the west
(d) QvB upward
(e) QvB toward the south

Homework Equations

F= qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding of the question is that the magnetic field and the velocity are parallel and in the opposite direction, so shouldn't the magnetic field be zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:
shouldn't the magnetic field be zero?

I think you mean "magnetic force", not "magnetic field" there, correct? (simple typo)

But in this problem the B-field and the velocity v are not parallel or anti-parallel. Which way is B pointing? Which way is qv pointing? Using the right-hand rule, which way is the force pointing? :smile:

Isn't the speed in the positive y direction and the magnetic field in the negative y direction?

And I did mean magnetic force, thank you!

sugz said:
Isn't the speed in the positive y direction and the magnetic field in the negative y direction?

And I did mean magnetic force, thank you!

Well, it says the B-field is pointing "down", which I would interpret as -z in a 3-D coordinate system. The qv is in the "north" direction, which I would interpret as +y (with +x pointing to the east). What do you get with this interpretation of their 3-D description?

Oh okay, that makes sense! I guess it was the wording was what confused me!

FAQ: What is the magnetic force on the particle

What is the magnetic force on the particle?

The magnetic force on a particle is a force that acts on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. It is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the magnetic force calculated?

The magnetic force on a particle can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic force?

The magnitude of the magnetic force on a particle is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. The greater these factors are, the stronger the magnetic force will be.

Can the magnetic force change the direction of a particle's motion?

Yes, the magnetic force can change the direction of a charged particle's motion. This is because the force is always perpendicular to the particle's motion, causing it to move in a circular path or spiral in towards or out from the magnetic field.

What is the difference between the magnetic force and the electric force?

The magnetic force is a force that acts on moving charged particles in a magnetic field, while the electric force is a force that acts on charged particles in an electric field. Additionally, the magnetic force is always perpendicular to the particle's motion, while the electric force can have both perpendicular and parallel components to the particle's motion.