What is the magnitude of the acceleration?

In summary, the problem in question involves two horizontal forces acting on a 32.5kg object. The first force has a magnitude of 210N and points in the direction 40.0 degrees East of North, while the second force has a magnitude of 350N and points in the direction 20.0 degrees North of West. The aim is to find the magnitude of acceleration of the object using the equation \Sigma F = ma. However, there is an issue with the problem as it is not explicitly stated that the object is on a flat, frictionless surface, leading to confusion and incorrect solutions. The problem also incorrectly states that there are two horizontal forces, when in fact there are horizontal components of the two forces. Further
Hockey07

Homework Statement

This was an exam question that one of my friends recently had.

Two horizontal forces act on a 32.5kg object. The first force has a magnitude of 210N and points in the direction 40.0 degrees East of North. The second force has a magnitude of 350N and points in the direction 20.0 degrees North of West.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the object?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know how to solve this problem, but the correct answer on the exam was 10.5 [itex]\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/itex]

The issue with this problem is that we believe it's very vaguely worded.

We solved the problem by doing:

[itex]\Sigma Fx = -350cos(20) + 210sin(40) = 32.5a_{x}[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma Fy = 350sin(20) + 210cos(40) - 32.5(9.81) = 32.5a_{y}[/itex]

Then the magnitude of the acceleration would be the square root of the sum of the squares of the acceleration components.

Neglecting gravity and using [itex]\Sigma Fy = 350sin(20) + 210cos(40) = 32.5a_{y}[/itex] yields the correct answer on the exam. Neither of us thought to assume that gravity just disappears (because why would it?)

What do you think - vague question or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hockey07 said:

Homework Statement

This was an exam question that one of my friends recently had.

Two horizontal forces act on a 32.5kg object. The first force has a magnitude of 210N and points in the direction 40.0 degrees East of North. The second force has a magnitude of 350N and points in the direction 20.0 degrees North of West.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the object?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know how to solve this problem, but the correct answer on the exam was 10.5 [itex]\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/itex]

The issue with this problem is that we believe it's very vaguely worded.

We solved the problem by doing:

[itex]\Sigma Fx = -350cos(20) + 210sin(40) = 32.5a_{x}[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma Fy = 350sin(20) + 210cos(40) - 32.5(9.81) = 32.5a_{y}[/itex]

Then the magnitude of the acceleration would be the square root of the sum of the squares of the acceleration components.

Neglecting gravity and using [itex]\Sigma Fy = 350sin(20) + 210cos(40) = 32.5a_{y}[/itex] yields the correct answer on the exam. Neither of us thought to assume that gravity just disappears (because why would it?)

What do you think - vague question or not?

Perhaps you both though the object was "floating" in space. The questioner, and I, assumed the mass was on a flat, frictionless surface.

The problem doesn't explicitly say where the object is but I also assumed it was on a flat friction-less surface. Gravity would, in this case, be canceled out by the normal force of the surface. This is one of those problems where you should clarify with the teacher as you are taking the tests to rule out any confusion.

I've taken both Physics and Dynamics and I don't think I've ever had to assume that an object is sitting on a surface. It's always been stated in the question or it's obvious (like a moving car, which clearly is on a road). This question immediately struck me as being a non-obvious situation, and I initially solved it incorrectly.

Additionally, the question explicitly states that there are two horizontal forces, which is not true. There are horizontal components, but the forces are not pointing in the horizontal direction.

Thanks for your help though.

Hockey07 said:
I've taken both Physics and Dynamics and I don't think I've ever had to assume that an object is sitting on a surface. It's always been stated in the question or it's obvious (like a moving car, which clearly is on a road). This question immediately struck me as being a non-obvious situation, and I initially solved it incorrectly.

Additionally, the question explicitly states that there are two horizontal forces, which is not true. There are horizontal components, but the forces are not pointing in the horizontal direction.

Thanks for your help though.

Sorry, But directions like North, East and West apply to a horizontal plane. I can't see that you want it clearer than that.

Perhaps you are thinking North is Up, South is Down, East is Right and West is Left - like as if you were looking at a map pinned to a wall?? And thus that East and West are the only horizontal directions?

PeterO said:
Sorry, But directions like North, East and West apply to a horizontal plane. I can't see that you want it clearer than that.

Perhaps you are thinking North is Up, South is Down, East is Right and West is Left - like as if you were looking at a map pinned to a wall?? And thus that East and West are the only horizontal directions?

hor·i·zon·tal   [hawr-uh-zon-tl, hor-]
adjective
1. at right angles to the vertical; parallel to level ground.
2. flat or level: a horizontal position.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/horizontal

I understand the directions just fine. I'm not asking what direction they're pointing in. I'm telling you that the wording is flawed. Read below.

Problem statement: "Two horizontal forces act..."
Me: "They are not strictly horizontal forces."

These forces are not at a right angle to the vertical, nor are they parallel to the ground. They don't fit the definition of horizontal. They are forces causing horizontal motion, and they do have horizontal components. I completely understand that! The problem statement says the forces themselves are horizontal... as in they have NO vertical component (hence the definition horizontal = at right angle to the vertical). They clearly have components in both the vertical and horizontal directions (and no component in the direction perpendicular to that plane since it's a 2D problem).

Also, by not explicitly stating that it's on a flat frictionless surface, you have to assume something that completely changes the problem. There's no indication that it would be resting on any surface. You have to guess that. It's not a fundamental assumption in order to solve the problem (like a fluid mechanics problem where you may assume a fluid is incompressible).

The wording is what bothers me. I know how to do the problem correctly, but the wording just is not clear.

Last edited:
Hockey07 said:
hor·i·zon·tal   [hawr-uh-zon-tl, hor-]
adjective
1. at right angles to the vertical; parallel to level ground.
2. flat or level: a horizontal position.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/horizontal

I understand the directions just fine. I'm not asking what direction they're pointing in. I'm telling you that the wording is flawed. Read below.

Problem statement: "Two horizontal forces act..."
Me: "They are not strictly horizontal forces."

These forces are not at a right angle to the vertical, nor are they parallel to the ground. They don't fit the definition of horizontal. They are forces causing horizontal motion, and they do have horizontal components. I completely understand that! The problem statement says the forces themselves are horizontal... as in they have NO vertical component (hence the definition horizontal = at right angle to the vertical). They clearly have components in both the vertical and horizontal directions (and no component in the direction perpendicular to that plane since it's a 2D problem).

Also, by not explicitly stating that it's on a flat frictionless surface, you have to assume something that completely changes the problem. There's no indication that it would be resting on any surface. You have to guess that. It's not a fundamental assumption in order to solve the problem (like a fluid mechanics problem where you may assume a fluid is incompressible).

The wording is what bothers me. I know how to do the problem correctly, but the wording just is not clear.

If the questioner says "Two horizontal forces act ..." and you think that says "They are not strictly horizontal forces .." I am not surprised you found the problem confusing.

I still think you are confusing North with vertical, and only if I assume you think that can I find any logic in what you are saying.

A solution in which has gravitational force acting in the Southerly direction seems to be indefensible. How can you possibly argue that the problem as presented is that ambiguous?

SammyS said:
A solution in which has gravitational force acting in the Southerly direction seems to be indefensible. How can you possibly argue that the problem as presented is that ambiguous?

I am not the one finding any ambiguity!

Related to What is the magnitude of the acceleration?

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a force, which includes both its magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a force vector?

The magnitude of a force vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector (hypotenuse) is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (x and y axis). Alternatively, the magnitude can also be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

3. What is the difference between a force vector and a displacement vector?

A force vector represents a physical force acting on an object, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object. They both have magnitude and direction, but the force vector acts on an object while the displacement vector describes the movement of an object.

4. How do you add force vectors?

To add force vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method, where the tail of one vector is placed at the head of the other vector. The sum of the vectors is then drawn from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector represents the total force acting on the object.

5. Can a force vector have negative magnitude?

Yes, a force vector can have negative magnitude. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the arrow. For example, a force of -5 Newtons would be represented as an arrow pointing in the negative direction with a length of 5 units.

Back