What is the magnitude of the car's displacement

In summary, the displacement of the car is magnitude 3.14 m when it accelerates from 83 km/h to 94 km/h.
Catgirl-Pink
I've got a problem I can't seem to figure out.."A certain car is capable of accelerating at a uniform rate of 0.85 m/s^2 (<-- squared). What is the magnitude of the car's displacement as it accelerates uniformly from a speed of 83 km/h to one of 94 km/h? "(Note: in my book we use vi= initial velocity ,vf=final velocity, a=acceleration, delta t=time interval and delta x = displacement) I think I'm supposed to use the equation vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x)...I might have to rearrange it..I'm not sure..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first step will be to determine how long (the time) it takes to accelerate to you max speed. Given that time and the relationship that tells you how far you travel under constant acceleration from an initial velocity, you can compute how far you have traveled.

EDIT: It has been pointed out that my approach is not the only possible one. You may well have at your disposal a single equation which will provide the solution. You will find that very frequently the key information in this type of problem is the time. I am a creature of habit, I simply do what I know will work.

Last edited:
Catgirl-Pink said:
I've got a problem I can't seem to figure out.."A certain car is capable of accelerating at a uniform rate of 0.85 m/s^2 (<-- squared). What is the magnitude of the car's displacement as it accelerates uniformly from a speed of 83 km/h to one of 94 km/h? "(Note: in my book we use vi= initial velocity ,vf=final velocity, a=acceleration, delta t=time interval and delta x = displacement) I think I'm supposed to use the equation vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(delta x)...I might have to rearrange it..I'm not sure.

You're right about the equation to use.

There's one more thing to keep in mind : UNITS. You need to use the same units throughout, so convert km/hr to m/s before substituting into the equation.

Last edited:

Related to What is the magnitude of the car's displacement

What is the magnitude of the car's displacement?

The magnitude of the car's displacement refers to the distance and direction between its initial and final positions. It is a vector quantity that can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

How is the magnitude of the car's displacement measured?

The magnitude of displacement is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or kilometers. It can be determined by using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or a measuring tape.

Can the magnitude of the car's displacement be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of displacement can be negative if the car moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates a change in direction and is represented by a negative value.

Is the magnitude of the car's displacement the same as its distance traveled?

No, the magnitude of displacement only considers the straight-line distance between initial and final positions, while the distance traveled takes into account the entire path taken by the car, including any changes in direction.

How is the magnitude of the car's displacement different from its speed?

The magnitude of displacement is a measure of the distance and direction between two points, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, regardless of direction. The two are related, but not the same.