What is the magnitude of the electric field?

In summary, a question was asked for help with determining the magnitude of an electric field for an electron released in a uniform electric field. It was determined that the force responsible for accelerating the electron is F = E * q, and the only unknown variable is E. Using elementary kinematics, the acceleration was solved for and related to the force. The mass of the electron was also given, and it was determined that all that is left is algebra to solve for E.
hitek131
I need help with this question if anyone can give me an idea of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field. The electron accelerates vertically upward, traveling 4.50 m in the first 3.00 micro seconds after it is released.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what force is in charge of accelerating the electron?

yes it is F=E * q

I know that q = 1.62 * 10^-19, but I still have an unknown variable.

Last edited:
You can solve the acceleration using elementary kinematics. Then you'd need to relate that force to the acceleration you solved for.

yes i know, you use y = 1/2at^2, but you still get unknown variables

You know everything besides E. The electron's mass is standard tabulated stuff.

Is the mass 9.10938188(72) * 10 ^-31?

yeah that's it. it's all algebra from here on.

Thank you so much!

FAQ: What is the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a particular point in space. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). The magnitude of the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the magnitude of the electric field calculated?

The magnitude of the electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted by an electric charge on another charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge. The electric field can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to position.

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. The electric field is stronger when the charges are closer together and weaker when they are farther apart. Additionally, the electric field is stronger for larger charges and in materials with a lower dielectric constant.

How does the magnitude of the electric field vary in different situations?

The magnitude of the electric field can vary depending on the arrangement of charges. In a uniform electric field, the magnitude remains constant at all points. In a non-uniform electric field, the magnitude can vary at different points. The magnitude can also vary depending on the type of charge (positive or negative) and the direction of the electric field.

Why is the magnitude of the electric field important?

The magnitude of the electric field is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions. It is used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and in the study of electromagnetism. The magnitude of the electric field also plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as lightning and the Earth's magnetic field.