What is the magnitude of the field at point R?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the electric field using the Pythagorean theorem and calculating the field at points R and P in terms of q. The correct ratio of ##\frac{E_R}{E_P}## is found to be ##\frac{9}{100}##.
paulimerci
Homework Statement
Problem attached below.
Relevant Equations
E = kq/r^2
I've no idea how to solve this problem. The sign of the charge is not mentioned, so I'm assuming the charge is "+". The charge exerts an outward electric field. Since two lengths of the right-angle triangle are given, I use the Pythagorean to find the hypotenuse, which is the distance between q and R, and it's found to be 10m.

$$ E = \frac{kq}{r^2}$$
$$ E = \frac{kq} {100}$$
I'm wondering why all the options have ##E_p## in the equation since it asks only for the magnitude of the field for point R. It would be great if anyone could explain how to solve this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 11.10.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 11.10.41 PM.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
write expressions for the fields at points P and R in terms of q.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
write expressions for the fields at points P and R in terms of q.
ok.
The electric field at point R is
$$ E_{R} = \frac{kq}{100}$$
The electric field at point P is
$$ E_{p} = \frac {kq}{9}$$
$$ 9\times E_{P} = kq$$
$$ 9\times E_{P} = E_R \times 100$$
$$ E_R = \frac {9 E_P} {100}$$
Is it right?

paulimerci said:
$$ E_{R} = \frac{kq}{100}$$
$$ E_{p} = \frac {kq}{9}$$
These are wrong because you used centimeters in your calculations.
But final answer is ok since here we calculate the ratio.

paulimerci said:
Thank you for pointing out @MatinSAR. I edited it. Does it look ok now?
$$ E_{R} = \frac{kq}{100 \times 10^{-4}}$$
$$ E_{p} = \frac {kq}{9 \times 10^{-4}}$$
The ratio of ##\frac{E_P}{E_R}## gives,
paulimerci said:
$$ 9\times 10^{-4} E_{P} = kq$$
$$ 9\times 10^{-4} E_{P} = E_R \times 100 \times 10^{-4}$$
$$ E_R = \frac {9 E_P} {100}$$

@paulimerci Yes, It's correct now.An easier way:

##\frac {E_R}{E_P}=\frac {\frac {kq}{r_R^2}}{\frac {kq}{r_P^2}}=(\frac {r_P}{r_R})^2=(\frac {3}{10})^2=\frac {9}{100}##

Likes paulimerci

Related to What is the magnitude of the field at point R?

What factors determine the magnitude of the field at point R?

The magnitude of the field at point R is determined by several factors including the distance from the source of the field, the strength or intensity of the source, the medium through which the field propagates, and the presence of any other fields or obstacles that might affect it.

How do you calculate the magnitude of the electric field at point R?

The magnitude of the electric field at point R can be calculated using Coulomb's Law for point charges: \( E = \frac{k \cdot |q|}{r^2} \), where \( E \) is the electric field, \( k \) is Coulomb's constant (\( 8.99 \times 10^9 \, \text{N} \cdot \text{m}^2/\text{C}^2 \)), \( q \) is the charge, and \( r \) is the distance from the charge to point R.

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at point R due to a current-carrying wire?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point R due to a long, straight current-carrying wire can be calculated using Ampère's Law: \( B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} \), where \( B \) is the magnetic field, \( \mu_0 \) is the permeability of free space (\( 4\pi \times 10^{-7} \, \text{T} \cdot \text{m}/\text{A} \)), \( I \) is the current, and \( r \) is the perpendicular distance from the wire to point R.

How does the presence of a dielectric material affect the magnitude of the electric field at point R?

The presence of a dielectric material reduces the magnitude of the electric field at point R. The electric field in a dielectric is given by \( E = \frac{E_0}{\kappa} \), where \( E_0 \) is the electric field without the dielectric and \( \kappa \) is the dielectric constant of the material.

Can the magnitude of the gravitational field at point R be affected by other masses nearby?

Yes, the magnitude of the gravitational field at point R can be affected by other masses nearby. The total gravitational field at point R is the vector sum of the gravitational fields due to all the masses. This is calculated using the principle of superposition.