What is the mathematical expression for the index of refraction in a GRIN lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of calculating the focal length of a GRIN lens, which has infinite radii of curvature. The refractive index is considered to vary with height, and the given values for n(0), n(1), and n(2) are provided. The conversation also touches on the thin lens equation and the possibility of lens aberrations causing the observed bending of light rays. Ultimately, the equation for the varying refractive index is given as n(y) = n(0) - f/t(sqrt(1+(y/f)^2)-1), where t is the thickness and f is the focal length.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must calculate the focal length of a GRIN lens. I.e. a lens which radii of curvature are both infinite. I will consider the refractive index to be varying in function of y (the height in the x-y plane). Say I'm given that at y=0, [tex]n(0)=n_0[/tex]. I'm not sure how to write n(y) mathematically for all y. Say at y=1, [tex]n(1)=\frac{n_0}{2}[/tex] and [tex]n(2)=\frac{n_0}{4}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]n(\vec r )=\int _{\vec r_1}^{\vec r_2 } n(\vec r ) d \vec r[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Only thoughts. I must absolutely get an expression for n(y) to start with.
What I know is that all the rays of lights that goes perpendicular to the lens' surface must reach the focal point. I also know that all these rays must have been through the same optical path.
But I'm not sure how to get n(y) nor how to further proceed.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
if the radii of curvature is infinite it has no focal length. it would be a plane parallel piece of glass. If you remember your old optics equations (myself included), the thin lens equation and or thick lens is

(1/f)=(n_2 - n_1)*((1/r_2)-(1/r_1))

if both radii are infinite and 1/infinity = 0.

Never been much for optics, so i hope this helps

Liquidxlax said:
if the radii of curvature is infinite it has no focal length. it would be a plane parallel piece of glass. If you remember your old optics equations (myself included), the thin lens equation and or thick lens is

(1/f)=(n_2 - n_1)*((1/r_2)-(1/r_1))

if both radii are infinite and 1/infinity = 0.

Never been much for optics, so i hope this helps

Yeah I know this is strange but geometrical optics fails to explain this fenomena. The "lens" is totally plane and perpendicular rays entering the "lens" should suffer no refraction according to Snell's law but in reality the rays bend toward the region of the lens with greater refractive index. All in all the material has a focal length, as strange as it may seem.

fluidistic said:
Yeah I know this is strange but geometrical optics fails to explain this phenomena. The "lens" is totally plane and perpendicular rays entering the "lens" should suffer no refraction according to Snell's law but in reality the rays bend toward the region of the lens with greater refractive index. All in all the material has a focal length, as strange as it may seem.
can lens aberrations be at fault for this phenomena?

* Piston
* Tilt
* Defocus
* Spherical aberration
* Coma
* Astigmatism
* Field curvature
* Image distortion

i've looked through my theoretical and optics textbooks and i can't find anything that would suggest a focal point for a plane of glass.

Your best bet is to consult your prof, i never got help for optics questions on here lol

Hmm now that I think of it. Mirage (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage) is exactly the same thing. Cold air has a higher refractive index than hot air. If you fire a laser horizontally over the ground, according to geometrical optics the laser beam shouldn't bend at all since it would go in a straight line due to a constant refractive index horizontally. However you know that the ray would bend toward the denser (colder) air.

The index varies as:
n(y) = n(0) - f/t(sqrt(1+(y/f)^2)-1) where t is the thickness and f is the focal length

Last edited:

Related to What is the mathematical expression for the index of refraction in a GRIN lens?

What is the focal length of a GRIN lens?

The focal length of a GRIN lens refers to the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge to form a focused image. It is an important characteristic of the lens and determines its magnification and image formation capabilities.

How is the focal length of a GRIN lens calculated?

The focal length of a GRIN lens can be calculated using the formula: f = n*d, where f is the focal length, n is the refractive index of the lens material, and d is the thickness of the lens. This formula assumes that the lens has a uniform refractive index throughout its thickness.

What factors affect the focal length of a GRIN lens?

The focal length of a GRIN lens can be affected by several factors, including the refractive index profile, the material properties, and the thickness of the lens. Additionally, the wavelength of light and the angle of incidence can also impact the focal length.

Can the focal length of a GRIN lens be changed?

Yes, the focal length of a GRIN lens can be changed by altering the refractive index profile, the material properties, or the thickness of the lens. This can be achieved through various manufacturing processes or by using external factors such as temperature or electric fields.

What are the applications of GRIN lenses with varying focal lengths?

GRIN lenses with varying focal lengths have a wide range of applications in various fields such as microscopy, imaging, telecommunications, and laser technology. They are also commonly used in medical devices such as endoscopes and surgical instruments.