What is the mathematical expression of the process of the wave functions collapsing?

george1962
TL;DR Summary
What is the mathematical expression of the process of the wave functions collapsing?
People very often say the collapse of the wave functions in the discussion of quantum mechanics, then how to write this process in math form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Non- diagonal components of density matrix disappear. No process but a sudden change.

Last edited by a moderator:
anuttarasammyak said:
Non- diagonal components of density matrix disappear. No process but a sudden change.
It does not make sense, but still thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
What doesn't make sense? If you mean "I don't know what a density matrix is", that's fine, but then this thread should be B-level.

Likes bhobba and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
What doesn't make sense? If you mean "I don't know what a density matrix is", that's fine, but then this thread should be B-level.
Agreed.

@george1962 -- Should I change this thread prefix from "I" (undergraduate physics level) to "B" (basic high school math level)?

Likes bhobba
I mean the “ sudden change”

george1962 said:
I mean the “ sudden change”
What doesn't make sense? That a number used to be non-zero and now it's zero? That's perfectly sensible. It happens all the time in physics. ("A ball is dropped from rest at a height h")

george1962 said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the mathematical expression of the process of the wave functions collapsing?

People very often say the collapse of the wave functions in the discussion of quantum mechanics, then how to write this process in math form?
See here for the basics:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-7-basic-rules-of-quantum-mechanics.971724/

For more details, consult any QM textbook.

Thread closed as the OP is now taking an unscheduled vacation.

Likes bhobba and DrChinese