What is the max. # of electrons located in the ground state?

In summary, the maximum number of electrons in the ground state are:a) 2b) 10c) 4d) 18e) 14f) 2g) 6h) 10i) 2j) 35k) 10
Tonia
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical chemistry forum, so no HH Template is shown >

I need someone to check my answers and help me with the questions I couldn't answer.

What is the max. # of electrons located in the groud state of

a) an orbital 2
b) d sublevel 10
c) Be atom 4 because 1s^2 2s^2 = 4 electrons
d) 3rd energy level = 10
e) f sublevel 14
f) a Ca atom 2
g) 4p sublevel of As 3
h) 3d sublevel of Cr 4
i) 5s sublevel of Sr 5 because the last one is 5s^2
J) 5th energy level of Br ?
k) 4d sublevel of Cd ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For i) i meant to say 2 electrons

At first sight abce are OK, others are either wrong (like d) or require checking periodic table (like gh).

Related to What is the max. # of electrons located in the ground state?

1. What is the ground state in terms of electrons?

The ground state refers to the lowest energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom or molecule. This is the most stable state for electrons and is also known as the "ground energy level."

2. How many electrons can be located in the ground state?

The maximum number of electrons that can be located in the ground state depends on the number of energy levels and sublevels in an atom. For example, a hydrogen atom can have a maximum of 2 electrons in the ground state, while a carbon atom can have a maximum of 8 electrons in the ground state.

3. What determines the maximum number of electrons in the ground state?

The maximum number of electrons in the ground state is determined by the Pauli exclusion principle and the Aufbau principle. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers, while the Aufbau principle states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels first.

4. Is there a limit to the number of energy levels and sublevels in an atom?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of energy levels and sublevels in an atom. The maximum number of energy levels is equal to the period number of the element on the periodic table, while the maximum number of sublevels is equal to the principal quantum number (n) for that energy level.

5. Can the maximum number of electrons in the ground state change?

Yes, the maximum number of electrons in the ground state can change if the atom undergoes ionization or excitation. In these processes, electrons can be removed or added to the atom's ground state, changing the number of electrons in that state.