What Is the Maximum Area of a Gothic Window With Given Constraints?

In summary, in order to build a gothic window with 6 segments totaling 6m in length that fits inside an area of 1m wide and 3m tall, the height of the triangle must be 3-y. However, this does not guarantee the maximum area of the window. The maximum area can be found by relating h to x, as x is the side of an equilateral triangle and h is the height. This means that 3 segments must be equal, leaving 3 segments to play with in order to find the maximum area.
roman15

Homework Statement

a gothic window it to be built with 6 segments that total 6m in length. The window must fit inside an area that is 1m wide and 3 meters tall. the triangle on top must be equilateral. What is the maximum area of the window.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i made each of the sides of the trianle x and the width at the bottom of the rectangle x, then the sides of the rectangle equal to y. so the perimeter is 6=4x+2y
and the area A=1/2xh + xy
the height of the triangle would be 3-y wouldn't it? because then i plugged that in for h, and then isolated for y in the perimeter equation and plugged in y where it was necessary but i didnt get the right answer in the end after i got the derivative

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't know h=3-y. Given your perimeter constraint the maximum area window might not touch all sides of the 1m by 3m area. All you really know is that x<=1 and y+h<=3. What is true that h is related to x just because x is the side of an equilateral triangle and h is the height.

I'm assuming your shape is like this?

Code:
[u]/\[/u]
|_|

Since the top has to be an equilateral triangle you know that 3 segments have to be equal (if the base of the triangle counts as a segment). Then you have 3 segments left over to play with (the sides below the triangle and the base of the window)

FAQ: What Is the Maximum Area of a Gothic Window With Given Constraints?

1. What is the purpose of optimizing a gothic window?

The purpose of optimizing a gothic window is to improve its design and function in order to achieve the best possible performance. This can include factors such as maximizing natural light, improving energy efficiency, and enhancing the overall aesthetic appearance.

2. How is optimization achieved in a gothic window?

Optimization in a gothic window can be achieved through various methods, such as using advanced computer software to design and simulate different window configurations, selecting high-quality materials and construction techniques, and incorporating innovative features like double glazing and thermal breaks.

3. What are the benefits of optimizing a gothic window?

Optimizing a gothic window can provide numerous benefits, including increased energy efficiency, improved natural lighting, enhanced durability and longevity, and an overall more visually appealing and functional window.

4. Is it possible to optimize a gothic window for different climates?

Yes, it is possible to optimize a gothic window for different climates. Depending on the specific climate and environmental conditions, the design and materials of the window can be optimized to provide the best performance and functionality for that particular region.

5. What are some common challenges when optimizing a gothic window?

Some common challenges when optimizing a gothic window include balancing design and functionality, selecting the most suitable materials and construction techniques, and ensuring compatibility with existing architectural styles and building codes.

Back