What is the maximum height reached by a launched human?

In summary: Yes, you are getting closer now. Remember, the acceleration due to gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the human's initial velocity, so it will have a negative value when substituted into the equation. Keep going!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 70kg human being launched at a 90 degree angle at 15mph. The goal is to determine how high the human will get before velocity reaches zero and they start to fall. The equations used include Vf = Vi + at, D = Vi*t + (1/2)at^2, and g = 9.8m/s^2. The proper equation for solving the problem is identified as D = Vi * t + (1/
Richard09876

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am working through a very long problem and I am stuck at this part.

So I have a 70kg human being launched at a 90 degree angle at 15mph. I need to figure out how high in the air he will get before velocity reaches zero again and he begins to fall.

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + at

Rearranged to: a = (Vf-Vi)/ t

A- time
Vi- initial velocity
Vf- final velocity
t- -9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

After I rearranged the problem I got a = (0-2.5)/-9.8

a = .255

Now I used D= Vi*t (1/2) a t ^2

6.25 (.255) = 1.59

1.59 + 1/2 (-9.81)(.255)= 1.27 mIs this correct??[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Not even close.

Since the human is being launched into the air (presumably without a rocket attached to his back side), he is not accelerating off the ground, but has a constant velocity of 15 mph as he leaves the ground. The only thing retarding his upward movement is the gravitational pull of earth.

What is g for Earth in foot-second units?

BTW: I've moved this thread to the Intro Physics HW forum, which is more appropriate given the nature of the problem.

It would be 9.8m/s^2

So, -32.15f/s^2 right?

Now I convert 15mph to 22 f/s.

Now I multiply 22f/s x 32.1 f/s^2 = 706 f/s^2

Is this right?

Richard09876 said:
It would be 9.8m/s^2

So, -32.15f/s^2 right?

Now I convert 15mph to 22 f/s.

Now I multiply 22f/s x 32.1 f/s^2 = 706 f/s^2

Is this right?

You're going from bad to worse.

Why are you multiplying the acceleration due to gravity by the initial velocity of the human?

For the record, the units of ft / s multiplied by ft / s2 are not equal to ft / s2.

I am really trying hard to work through this one. Could you suggest a direction I should take?

Perhaps I should not be multiplying at all. Since the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8ms^2 I should subtract that from the 22f/s since the gravity is "retarding" the human. Am I getting anywhere here?

Richard09876 said:
I am really trying hard to work through this one. Could you suggest a direction I should take?

Perhaps I should not be multiplying at all. Since the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8ms^2 I should subtract that from the 22f/s since the gravity is "retarding" the human. Am I getting anywhere here?

You're not getting anywhere because you aren't using the correct equation to solve this problem. You want to select the kinematic equation or equations which will allow you to calculate the distance traveled by the human after he is launched.

http://www.ronknott.com/MEI/MechSuvatEquns.html

Related to What is the maximum height reached by a launched human?

1. What is vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement refers to the change in height or distance from a reference point in a vertical direction.

2. What are some common causes of vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement can be caused by natural phenomena such as tectonic plate movement, erosion, or changes in sea level. It can also be caused by human activities such as construction, mining, or groundwater extraction.

3. How is vertical displacement measured?

Vertical displacement is typically measured using instruments such as a leveling rod, GPS, or satellite imagery. These instruments can accurately measure changes in elevation or height over time.

4. What are the effects of vertical displacement?

The effects of vertical displacement can vary depending on the cause and magnitude. It can lead to changes in landforms, destruction of infrastructure, displacement of populations, and impacts on ecosystems and natural resources.

5. Can vertical displacement be prevented or mitigated?

In some cases, vertical displacement can be prevented or mitigated through proper planning and construction methods. For example, buildings can be designed to withstand potential ground movement or sea level rise. In other cases, measures such as land subsidence monitoring and groundwater management can help mitigate the effects of vertical displacement.