What is the maximum height reached by an acrobat and monkey pair after grabbing?

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum height attained by a circus acrobat and a trained monkey while the acrobat jumps off a trampoline and grabs the monkey at a certain height. The conversation includes equations and attempts at finding the maximum height, with a conclusion that there may be a simpler way to solve the problem. It also touches upon the concept of conservation of momentum and the lack of external forces during the grabbing process.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

A circus acrobat of mass ##M## leaps straight up with initial velocity ##v_0## from a trampoline. As he rises up, he takes a trained monkey of mass ##m## off a perch at height ##h##, above the trampoline. What is the maximum height attained by the pair?

Homework Equations

center of mass

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I put that ##y_1(t)## is the trajectory of the acrobat, ##y_2(t)## the trajectory of the monkey, and ##t_e## grabbing time. I look at the system acrobat-monkey before and after grabbing.

Before grabbing: Between ##0\le t\le t_e## :
1. ##y_1(t) = tv_0 - \frac{gt^2}{2}##
2. ##y_2(t) = h##
so the vertical component of the center of mass is
## R_y^{(b)}(t) = \frac{1}{m+M} (my_2+My_1) = \frac{1}{m+M} (mh+Mt(v_0 - \frac{gt}{2}) )##After grabbing: When ##t_e \le t##, the center of mass is under external force ##-(m+M)g\vec j##, and its motion is given by:
## R_y^{(a)}(t) = h + (t-t_e) v_1 - \frac{g}{2} (t-t_e)^2 ##

At maximum height, we will have ## \dot R_y^{(a)}(t_{\max}) = 0 ## so that ##t_{\max}- t_e = \frac{v_1}{g}##.
The maximum height will be ## R_y^{(a)}(t_{\max}) = h + \frac{v_1^2}{2g}##

Now we must find ##v_1##.
I assume continuity of the center of mass speed at time ##t_e## ( I'm not sure about that! ), and get that ## v_1 = \frac{M}{m+M}(v_0 - g t_e) ## where the parenthesized term is the speed of the acrobat at grabbing time.

To conclude I must get rid of ##t_e## which is not a constant of the problem. How should I do that please?

Physics news on Phys.org
When grabbing, y1(te) = h too.

However, there might be a much simpler way to deal with this exercise...

Hi,
So you solve the equation ## \frac{g}{2} t_e^2 -v_0 t_e + h = 0 ## ? You probably keep the first root since the pair will fall back to height ##h##, therefore ## t_e = \frac{v_0 - \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2 hg}}{g}##

and maximum height is

##(1 - {(\frac{M}{m+M})}^2) h + {(\frac{M}{m+M})}^2 \frac{v_0^2}{2g} ##

Correct?

Last edited:
I get that too.

And my idea of a simpler way doesn't apply: the grabbing process is an inelastic collision, so there is no conservation for kinetic + potential energy.
There is momentum conservation (your continuity of c.o.m. speed) that in fact demonstrates this non-conservation.
Nice exercise!

Thanks BvU !
I am a starter in mechanics so I have no knowledge of what is energy for now.
I am interested by your explanation about continuity of c.o.m speed which I assumed but not quite well understood.
You justified it by momentum conservation which I understand it prooves continuity. But why is momentum conserved around time ##t_e## ?

Yes. There is no external force doing work on the system man+monkey during the grabbing. With ## F = {dp\over dt} ## that means p is the same before and after (it's not constant, but there's no sudden change. But you have me in doubt now ... )

Related to What is the maximum height reached by an acrobat and monkey pair after grabbing?

1. What is an Acrobat grabbing monkey?

An Acrobat grabbing monkey is a type of monkey that has the ability to perform acrobatic stunts, such as swinging from branches and jumping between trees. They are also known for their dexterity in grabbing and holding onto objects with their hands.

2. Where do Acrobat grabbing monkeys live?

Acrobat grabbing monkeys are native to the rainforests of South America, specifically in Brazil, Peru, and Colombia. They can also be found in some parts of Central America and Mexico.

3. What do Acrobat grabbing monkeys eat?

Acrobat grabbing monkeys are omnivorous, meaning they eat both plants and animals. Their diet consists of fruits, insects, small reptiles, and occasionally small mammals, birds, and eggs.

4. How do Acrobat grabbing monkeys use their acrobatic skills in the wild?

In the wild, Acrobat grabbing monkeys use their acrobatic skills to move quickly and efficiently through the trees in search of food. They can also use their dexterity to catch prey or defend themselves from predators.

5. Are Acrobat grabbing monkeys endangered?

Yes, some species of Acrobat grabbing monkeys, such as the black-headed spider monkey, are classified as endangered due to habitat destruction and illegal hunting. It is important to protect their natural habitats in order to conserve these fascinating creatures.