What is the maximum kinetic energy and potential energy of a swinging pendulum?

• Thread starter tgpnlyt7095
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question regarding the calculation of kinetic energy and potential energy of a swinging pendulum. The maximum speed of the pendulum is given and the equations for kinetic and potential energy are provided. The individual attempting to solve the problem gets stuck at finding the value for the height. The expert suggests using the Law of Conservation of Energy to determine that the maximum potential energy is equal to the maximum kinetic energy.
tgpnlyt7095
Physics Question regarding Work ( calculations of kinetic energy & potential energy )

A Pendulum of mass 0.7kg is swinging . The maximum speed of the pendulum, where the
pendulum's position is at it's lowest, is 2.0ms-1. Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of
the pendulum and the maximum gravitational potential energy of the pendulum as it is at its greatest height.

ok, youre understood, sorry yea first time using this ;x

Relevant equations:
Ek ( Kinetic Energy ) = 1/2mv²
Ep ( Potential Energy ) = mgh

The Attempted Solution :

Ek = 1/2mv²
= 1/2 x 0.7 x 2²
= 1.4J

Ep = m x g x h
= ( 0.7 kg ) x 10m/s² ( i shall do a round-up ) x h ( unknown )

i was stucked here as i can't get the value of 'h' o.o

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tgpnlyt7095 and welcome to PF. Please follow the rules of this forum and use the template when you seek help with homework. Show us the relevant equations and tell us what you tried and what you think about the problem. We just don't give answers away.

I'm not sure if my answer's correct, but I'd say the max. potential energy is the same as the max. kinetic energy because of the Law of the Conservation of Energy. ALL of the potential energy should be converted to kinetic energy, hence the max. kinetic energy = max. potential energy.

FAQ: What is the maximum kinetic energy and potential energy of a swinging pendulum?

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms, such as light, heat, electricity, and motion.

2. Why is there a need for help on energy?

As our population and technology continue to grow, our demand for energy also increases. However, our current methods of generating energy, such as burning fossil fuels, are unsustainable and harmful to the environment. Therefore, we need to find alternative sources of energy and improve our energy efficiency.

3. What are some renewable sources of energy?

Renewable energy sources are those that come from natural resources that can be replenished, such as sunlight, wind, water, and geothermal heat. These sources are considered to be more sustainable and environmentally friendly compared to non-renewable sources, such as coal and oil.

4. How can I reduce my energy consumption?

There are many ways to reduce energy consumption, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and insulating your home. You can also consider using renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to power your home.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing our energy needs?

If we do not address our energy needs and continue to rely on unsustainable sources, we could face severe consequences, such as air and water pollution, climate change, and depletion of natural resources. These consequences can have a significant impact on our health, economy, and overall quality of life.

Back